Ferris State Women's Soccer Notes - Matches 16-17
Friday, Oct. 22 - 4 p.m. (EDT)
DeHaven Field - Findlay, Ohio
Sunday, Oct. 24 - 12 p.m. (EDT)
Paradiso Athletic Field - Tiffin, Ohio
* The Opening Kick: The 2010 Ferris State University women's soccer team will take to the road for its final three regular-season Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) matches, starting this weekend (Oct. 22 and 24) as the Bulldogs travel to Ohio for a pair of contests. Ferris State takes on the Findlay Oilers this Friday (Oct. 22) before going up against the Tiffin Dragons this Sunday (Oct. 24).
* 2010 Record: Ferris State is presently 7-5-3 overall and 7-3-2 in the GLIAC's North Division this season. This past week, the Bulldogs visited Lewis in a non-league match and played to a 1-1 tie in two overtimes at Romeoville, Ill. FSU then posted a 2-0 conference home triumph over Michigan Tech last Friday (Oct. 15) at Top Taggart Field in Big Rapids, Mich. The Bulldogs wrapped up the home portion of its 2010 regular-season schedule last Sunday (Oct. 17) with a 1-1 tie in double-overtime against Northern Michigan at Top Taggart Field.
* The Coach: Ferris State - Matt Kellogg (Butler, 2000), 1st season, 7-5-3 (.567); Career: 2nd season, 16-15-4 (.514). Kellogg, who's the fourth head coach in FSU women's soccer program history, spent the 2009 season as an assistant coach at NCAA Division I Morehead (Ky.) State and quickly made an impact in his initial campaign as the Eagles captured the program's first-ever Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) regular-season championship with a 5-0-3 conference record while producing an 8-7-4 overall mark. Prior to MSU, Kellogg spent the 2007 and 2008 seasons as an assistant at Kentucky after serving three seasons (2004-07) in the same capacity at Western Michigan. Kellogg was the head women's soccer coach at Kalamazoo (Mich.) College from December 2002 to February 2004 following one season (2002) as an assistant.
* 2010 GLIAC Coaches Poll: For the second year in a row, Ferris State has been chosen to finish fifth in the GLIAC Preseason Women's Soccer Poll, which was released Aug. 27 by the league office. The Bulldogs received nine points for fifth place while 2009 national champion and five-time defending conference champion Grand Valley State earned the top placing in the North Division with 25 points and five first-place votes. Tiffin was tabbed as the favorite in the South Division with three first-place votes to go with 14 points. The league's 11 head coaches participated in the balloting, but weren't allowed to vote for their own team. The complete 2010 GLIAC preseason poll can be accessed at this link - GLIAC Coaches' Poll.
* Bulldog Bytes: Junior forward Bri Borgman's (Holland/West Ottawa) team-leading 10 goals in 15 matches this fall ties a career single-season best, equalling her 10 tallies a season ago in 18 outings. She presently ranks fifth among FSU's all-time goal-scoring leaders with 25 markers in 52 career contests . . . The Bulldogs are presently midst their second five-match (3-0-2) unbeaten streak of this season and compiled a 4-0-1 mark in a five-game stretch earlier this fall (Sept. 12-26). FSU is averaging 1.60 goals an outing (eight total) while giving up a 0.40 goals per contest average (two total) during its current five-match streak. In Ferris' first five-match unbeaten string this fall, the Bulldogs scored 2.60 goals per match (13 total) and allowed the opposition to tally 0.40 goals an outing (two total). . . . Bri Borgman has accounted for 38.9% (23-59) of Ferris State's total points output this season and 45.5% (10-22) of the squad's goal-scoring production through 15 contests this fall. Borgman's team-high 23 points (10-3=23) this season already surpasses her 22 points (10-2=22) in 18 matches for the 2009 campaign . . . Senior defender-midfielder Kristen March (Canton/Plymouth Salem) recorded her 12th career assist in Sunday's (Oct. 17) regular-season home finale against Northern Michigan and presently occupies sixth place among the program's all-time leaders. March, who has accumulated 12 points (0-12=12) in 65 career contests, is currently two points shy of tying Kristen Aukeman's (2002-05) 14-career assists total for fifth-place honors.
* Did You Know?: Ferris State participated in its third double-overtime match of this season against Northern Michigan this past Sunday (Oct. 17) as the two teams played to a 1-1 deadlock. FSU and NMU also competed in a 0-0 two-overtime tie earlier this season (Sept. 17) at Marquette, Mich. Ferris State's other lone two-overtime outing occurred this past Tuesday (Oct. 12) with a 1-1 tie at Lewis.
* Talented Forward: Bri Borgman earned 2009 All-GLIAC First-Team and Daktronics Midwest Region Second Team honors following her most productive season at Ferris State. She also was chosen as FSU's Offensive Attacking Player of the Year Award winner for 2009. Borgman presently ranks tied for second in career game-winning goals (eight) and is fifth in minutes played (4,113) among Ferris State's all-time leaders. The FSU forward also ranks fifth in both goals scored (25) and points (56) while ranking tied for 19th place in matches started (50). Borgman is one goal shy from moving into a fourth-place tie with Heather O'Keefe (2002-07), who chalked up 26 career markers. She needs three more points to tie the pair for fifth-place honors on the program's career scoring leaders list.
* National Stats Leaders: Ferris State is ranked among the 2010 NCAA Division II national leaders in several team and individual statistical categories this week thru matches of Oct. 17. The Bulldogs are listed 21st in save percentage (.880), 35th in goals-against average (.761), 45th in shutout percentage (.467), 90th in win-loss-tie percentage (.567), and 123rd in scoring offense (1.47). Individually, Rachel McCollum ranks 25th in saves percentage (.879) and 39th in goals-against average (.761). Bri Borgman is listed 27th in total goals (10.0), 36th in total points (23.0), 48th in goals per game (.667), and 57th in points per game (1.53).
* GLIAC Standings/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2010 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link - GLIAC Standings. The composite 2010 conference women's soccer schedule can be accessed at this link - GLIAC Schedule.
* 2009 Season: Ferris State concluded the 2009 season with a 3-13-2 overall record and registered a seventh-place 3-10-1 GLIAC mark.
* FSU's 12th Season: The 2010 campaign represents Ferris State's 12th season of women's soccer. The Bulldogs own an all-time mark of 86-107-16 (.449) to date since the program's inception in 1999. The 2003 (11-5-1) and 2005 (11-7-0) hold the program's record for most victories in a single season.
The Oilers are presently 5-4-3 overall and 5-4-1 in the GLIAC's South Division. UF played to a 2-2 two-overtime tie at Ohio Dominican last Sunday (Oct. 17) in its most recent contests and the Oilers are 1-3-2 in their last six encounters. The Oilers, who are directed by 21st-year head coach Andy Smyth, have produced a 3-1-1 mark in home outings this fall.
Tiffin is 8-4-1 overall this season with a 6-3-1 mark in the GLIAC's South Division as the Dragons claimed a 2-1 league road decision over Ohio Dominican last Friday (Oct. 15) for the second win in a row. TU, which is coached by first-year head coach Paula Fantini, has registered a 5-1-1 mark in its last seven outings to date. The Dragons are presently 4-1-1 in home matches this campaign and host Grand Valley State this Friday (Oct. 22) prior to their contest versus Ferris State.
* FSU Soccer Support Club: The Ferris State "Back of the Net" club to support Bulldog women's soccer is an essential part in maintaining a competitive program. Contributions assist the program with improvements in equipment, gear, travel, recruiting budgets, and supporting the academics of the student-athletes. For more information, please visit the Back of the Net - Ferris State Women's Soccer Support Club site.