2011 Ferris State Women's Volleyball Quick Facts
Location: Big Rapids, Michigan 49307
Colors: Crimson and Gold
Facility (Capacity): Ewigleben Sports Arena (600)
Affiliation: NCAA Division II
Conference: Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC)
President: Dr. David L. Eisler (Michigan, 1972)
Athletics Director: Perk Weisenburger (Central Michigan, 1979)
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Associate Athletics Director: Jon Coles (Valparaiso, 1999)
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Women's Administrator: TBD
Coordinator of Records and NCAA: Robin J.
Office/E-Mail: (231) 591-2799/RobinCarter@ferris.edu
Faculty Athletics Representative: Dr. Terry Nerbonne
Athletics Department Office/FAX: (231) 591-2860/591-2869
Head Athletic Trainer: Dave Lucey, ATC
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Assistant Athletic Trainer: Tim Glover, ATC
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Women's Volleyball): TBD
Equipment Manager: Ben Mumah, E.M.,C.
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Ticket Manager: Linda Bomar
Office/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletics Communications Director (Women's Volleyball): Rob Bentley
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
Athletics Communications Fax: (231) 591-3775
Mailing Address: 210 Sports Drive, Sports Complex 001, Big Rapids, MI. 49307-2741
Athletics Website: www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com
First Year of Volleyball: 1972
Overall All-Time Record: 808-461 (.637)
Conference All-Time Record: 353-189 (.651)
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 15 (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009)
All-Time NCAA Postseason Record: 7-16 (.304)
Last NCAA Tourney Opponent: Lewis @ NCAA Midwest Regional in Indianapolis, Ind.
Result: Lost 3-0 (20-25, 17-25, 21-25)
Number Years In GLIAC Tourney/Last: 13/2010
Last GLIAC Tourney Opponent: at Hillsdale
Result: Lost 3-1 (23-25, 17-25, 26-24, 17-25)
Head Coach: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm
Alma Mater: Alma, 1990
Year Entering At FSU: 16th
Record at FSU (Years): 306-160 (.657)/15 yrs.
Career Record (Years): 424-180 (.702)/18 yrs.
Record vs. the GLIAC (all matches): 193-107 (.643)
Office Phone/E-Mail: (231) firstname.lastname@example.org
Best time/day to reach Brandel-Wilhelm: M-F 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. (ET)
Jesse Ortiz (Sonoma State, 2004)
Year Entering At FSU: 1st
Office/E-Mail: (231) email@example.com
2010 Overall Record: 18-10
Conference Record/Finish: 13-6/3rd - North Division
2010 Non-Conference Record: 5-4
2010 Record At Home/Conference: 11-3/8-2
2010 Record Away/Conference: 6-5/5-4
2010 Record on Neutral Courts: 0-0
Final 2010 Ranking (poll): Not Ranked
Starters Returning/Lost: 4 + libero/2
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 11/4
Ashley Huntey, OH, 5-10, Sr. - 2010 All-GLIAC Second Team
Lisa Tobiczyk, LIB, 5-8, Sr. - 2010 All-GLIAC Second Team, 2010 FSU Bulldog Award co-recipient, 2009 All-GLIAC Honorable Mention, 2009 FSU Bulldog Award tri-recipient
Samantha Fordyce, S, 5-11, Jr. - 2010 All-GLIAC Honorable Mention, 2009 FSU Most Improved Player Award co-recipient
Aly Brecht, OH, 5-10, Jr. - 2009 FSU Most Improved Player Award co-recipient
Anne Sutton, MH, 6-2, Jr.
Other Returning Letterwinners:
Mallory Kopa, MH, 5-11, Sr.
Kara Hess, OH, 5-11, So. - 2010 FSU Coaches Award recipient
Lindsey Miller, MH, 6-2, Jr.
Paige Wyers, S, 5-9, Jr.
Brianna Grover, OH, 5-9, Jr.
Angi Kent, MH, 6-2, So. - 2010 FSU Most Improved Player Award
Arielle Goodson, MH - 2010 AVCA All-America Second Team, 2010 AVCA All-Midwest Region, 2010 Daktronics All-Midwest Region Second Team, 2010 All-GLIAC First Team, 2010 FSU Most Valuable Player, 2010 FSU Senior Award tri-recipient, 2009 All-GLIAC First Team, 2009 AVCA All-Midwest Region
Danielle Hamilton, MH - 2009 FSU Senior Award tri-recipient
Courtney Rehm, MH, 6-2, Fr.
Caroline Heitzman, OH-MH, 6-1, Fr.
Claire Grawburg, MH-OH, 6-0, Fr.
Brandie Merren, S-DS, 5-7, So. - Western Michigan transfer
2011 SEASON PREVIEW NOTES:
* The 2011 campaign will represent Ferris State's 39th season of intercollegiate women's volleyball. The program inaugural season was in 1973.
* Ferris State recorded its 13th consecutive winning season in 2010 with an 18-10 overall mark. The Bulldogs also made their 13th straight Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Tournament appearance.
* Junior setter Samantha Fordyce enters the 2011 season ranking seventh among Ferris State's all-time leaders with 2,337 career assists in 59 contests. She totaled 1,094 assists in 28 2010 matches which represents the 16th highest output in on FSU's all-time single-season leaders list.
* Head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm needs 24 more victories to move into a tie with Jill Hirschinger (1984-95; 330-151 record) as Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. Brandel-Wilhelm, who will embark on her 16th year at FSU this fall, has currently compiled a 306-160 (.657) coaching mark.
* Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk has accumulated 1,256 career digs in 88 matches prior to the 2011 campaign to rank eighth on FSU's all-time leaders chart. Tobiczyk established a career single-season high in digs with a career-best and team-leading 474 total in 28 outings. She also is currently listed 15th among the program's career best leaders with 1,227 service aces to date, which included a team-high tying 31 aces a season ago.
* The Bulldogs return 58.3% (794-1,363) of their kills production from the 2010 campaign, which includes three of their top four kills leaders.
* Ferris State has compiled a 292-81 (.783) record to date in 30 seasons of action (1981-present) at FSU's Ewigleben Sports Arena. The Bulldogs are 134-34 (.798) in home matches since 1998, which included an 11-3 mark a season ago.