FSU Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 22-23)
vs. Ohio Dominican
Saturday, Oct. 29 - 5 p.m. (EDT)
Sunday, Oct. 30 – 11 a.m. (EDT)
*The Opening Serve: This weekend (Oct. 29-30), the Ferris State University women's volleyball team will start a five-match road stint to end the 2011 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) regular-season campaign. The Bulldogs will open the stretch on Saturday (Oct. 29) with a trip to Ohio Dominican Pbefore facing the Tiffin Dragons on Sunday (Oct. 30) in Ohio.
*Ticket Information: Tickets for all 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches in 2011. Selected Ferris State home games will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 827-433 (.656). Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 19-2 overall and 13-1 in the GLIAC North Division to date. The Bulldogs are back on a three-match winning streak after their 11-match winning streak was snapped at the GLIAC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament. Ferris State swept Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan this past weekend (Oct. 22-23) to conclude 2011 regular-season play at home with a perfect 13-0 record inside the Ewigleben Sports Arena.
* The Coaches: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990) is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a FSU coaching record of 325-162 (.708) and is 443-182 (.709) overall as a collegiate coach. Brandel-Wilhelm is only five victories away from tying for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach (Jill Hirschinger, 1984-1995, 330-151). She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
* This Week's Opposition:
Ohio Dominican: Ferris State holds a 1-0 lead over the Panthers in the all-time series with the lone encounter taking place in 2010. The Bulldogs notched a 3-0 win over Ohio Dominican last season at home in Big Rapids. Thus far in the 2011 season, the Panthers hold an 11-12 overall record and are 4-9 in GLIAC action. Head Coach Sandy Rowley is currently in her 22nd season with the program.
Tiffin: Ferris State and Tiffin will meet for the fourth time as the Bulldogs hold a 3-0 all-time series advantage over the Dragons. FSU claimed a 3-2 victory last season at the Ewigleben Sports Arena in Big Rapids,. The Dragons currently hold a 5-16 overall record and are 4-8 in the GLIAC. Dava Cordova is in her second season as the head coach at Tiffin.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*National Attention: After the two-match sweep last weekend, the Bulldogs climbed from the 13th to 11th spot in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division II national rankings. Previously, FSU had been ranked 11th earlier this season (10/3 and 10/17) before being ranked 13th in last week's poll. The 11th-place national ranking for FSU this season is the highest ranking for the Bulldogs in 20 years.
*Bulldog Bites: FSU's Ashley Huntey was honored at last Saturday's home match for recording her 1,000th career dig … Huntey is just 58 kills away from reaching 1,000 in her Bulldog career, which would make her one of six who hold the distinction of being in both the 1,000 career kills and digs club ..... Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 786 total helpers this season and is averaging 11.0 assists per set … Ferris State has 935 total kills while opponents are currently at 845 kills … Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 164.0 total blocks with 69 block solos and 190 block assists. They are averaging 2.3 blocks per set … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) has contributed 157 kills on the season and has reached double-digit kill marks in four of the last five matches … Five Bulldogs have posted triple-digit dig counts this season, including senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (311), Ashley Huntey (208), Brandie Merren (136) and Samantha Fordyce (130). Most recently, junior outside hitter Aly Brecht reached 100 digs for the season.
*GLIAC Standing/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 305-81 (.790) record to date in 31 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris State wrapped up the 2011 regular season with a 13-0 home record, which marks the program's seventh undefeated home record to date. Overall, Ferris is 158-41 (.794) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th-straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.