Women's Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 20-21)
vs. Michigan Tech
Saturday, Oct. 22 - 2 p.m. (EDT)
Big Rapids, Mich.
vs. Northern Michigan
Sunday, Oct. 23 – 2 p.m. (EDT)
Big Rapids, Mich.
*The Opening Serve: This weekend, the Ferris State University women's volleyball team will return home to face Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) action after posting a 2-1 mark last weekend (Oct. 14-15) at the 2011 Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament in Aurora, Ill. FSU hosts Michigan Tech on Saturday (Oct. 22) and Northern Michigan on Sunday (Oct. 23) with both matches starting at 2 p.m. (ET) inside the Ewigleben Sports Arena.
*Ticket Information: Tickets for all 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches in 2011. Selected Ferris State home games will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 825-433 (.656). Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 17-2 overall and 11-1 in the GLIAC North Division to date. The Bulldogs saw a 11-match win streak snapped by Northern Kentucky at the GLIAC/GLVC crossover Tournament in a thrilling five-set encounter. Ferris State has had continued success at home this season with an 11-0 mark heading into this week's action.
* The Coaches: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a career record of 441-182 (.708). Brandel-Wilhelm is only three victories away from tying for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
* This Week's Opposition:
Michigan Tech: Ferris State has a 52-14 lead over Michigan Tech in the all-time series. The Bulldogs notched a 3-0 win over the Huskies earlier this season in Houghton, Mich. Ferris State is 24-7 at home and 28-7 on the road against Michigan Tech. MTU is currently 0-11 in the GLIAC and 2-17 overall this campaign. This is the third season as the Michigan Tech head coach for Orlando Gonzalez.
Northern Michigan: Ferris State and Northern Michigan will meet for the 86th time as the Wildcats hold a 45-40 all-time series advantage over the Bulldogs. NMU claimed a win earlier this season, prevailing 3-2 in Marquette. Ferris State's record is currently 20-17 at home against Northern Michigan and stands at 20-28 when playing in Marquette. NMU currently stands at 9-2 in the GLIAC and 12-8 overall.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*Player of the Week: FSU senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) was tabbed as this week's GLIAC North Division Player of the Week. The selection marks the third time Huntey has received the GLIAC weekly honor in the 2011 campaign. Huntey accounted for 52 of Ferris State's 181 total kills last weekend at the Mizuno GLIAC/GLVC Crossover Tournament. She averaged 4.00 kills, 3.23 digs and 4.35 points per game while coming away from the weekend with a .307 hitting percentage. She had an impressive 19 kills in the FSU's 3-1 victory over Lewis (Ill.) on Friday. For the week, Huntey tallied 52 kills, 42 digs,and six total blocks.
*National Attention: The Bulldogs dropped to the 13th spot in the AVCA national rankings this week. FSU had previously been ranked 11th two consecutive weeks heading into the Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover, which was the highest ranking for the Bulldogs in 20 years.
*Bulldog Bites: FSU's Ashley Huntey will be honored at Saturday's home match for recording her 1,000th career dig in the Bulldogs' most recent home contest back on Oct. 6 … Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 723 total helpers this season … Ferris State has had 848 total kills while opponents are currently at 775 kills … Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 153.0 total blocks with 66 block solos and 174 block assists. They are averaging 2.4 blocks per set … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) has contributed 62.0 blocks with seven block solos and 55 block assists this campaign … Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) has 280 digs on the 2011 campaign and is averaging 4.38 digs per set.
*FSU Senior Day: FSU will honor seniors Ashley Huntey and Lisa Tobiczyk prior to their final regular-season home matches on Sunday (Oct. 23) as part of the Bulldogs' senior day activities.
*GLIAC Standing/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 303-81 (.789) record to date in 31 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which has accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2010. Overall, Ferris is 156-41 (.792) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th-straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.