vs. Lewis (Ill.)
Friday, Oct. 14 - 12:30 p.m. (EDT)
Great Lakes Center
vs. Northern Kentucky
Friday, Oct. 14 – 6:30 p.m. (EDT)
Great Lakes Center
vs. Missouri S&T
Saturday, Oct. 15 - 2 p.m. (EDT)
Great Lakes Center
*The Opening Serve: The nationally 11th-ranked Ferris State University women's volleyball team will be competing in the 2011 Mizuno Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC)/Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Crossover Tournament this weekend (Oct. 14-15) at the Great Lakes Center in Aurora, Ill. The Bulldogs will being tourney non-conference action this Friday (Oct. 14) taking on Lewis (Ill.) in a 12:30 p.m. (EDT) contest. FSU then squares off against Northern Kentucky in a 6:30 p.m. (EDT) tilt before wrapping up action on the court this Saturday (Oct. 15) versus Missouri S&T at 2 p.m. (EDT).
*2011 Crossover Tournament Ticket Information: Tickets are $7 per day or adults and will be available at the door. A combined total of 32 teams will be participating in the GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament, which includes non-conference affiliated Cedarville University and Madonna Universtiy.
*More On The Crossover Tournament: The site of the 2011 GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Volleyball Tournament is the Great Lakes Center in Aurora. The facility includes eight courts, which will all be used concurrently during tournament play. The Bulldogs are the GLIAC's number one overall seed heading into this weekend's crossover while Indianapolis earned the top seed on the GLVC side. FSU's opponents are seeded sixth (Lewis), second (Northern Kentucky) and fourth (Missouri S&T) on the GLVC side. The field features 16 GLVC schools, 14 GLIAC schools in addition to the two non-affiliated teams in Madonna and Cedarville, which are seeded on the GLIAC side to even the bracket.
*National Attention: For the second week in a row, the Bulldogs are currently ranked 11th in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division II Coaches Top 25 Poll. This is the highest ranking for the program in 20 years. The Bulldogs jumped six spots from 17th to 11th in last week's AVCA's weekly poll. Overall, the Bulldogs are ranked this week for the 88th time in school history and fourth time this season.
*Ticket Information: Tickets for all 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches in 2011. Selected Ferris State home games will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*The 39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 823-432 (.658). Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 15-1 overall and 11-1 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (GLIAC) North Division to date. The Bulldogs have a current win streak of 10-straight after defeating Ashland and Lake Erie over the weekend (Oct. 7-8). Each match was a 3-0 decision in favor of FSU. Ferris State has had continued success at home this season with an 11-0 mark at the Ewigleben Sports Arena. The Bulldogs have not dropped a set since a 3-2 match loss at Northern Michigan on Sept. 11.
* The Coaches: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a career record of 439-181 (.708). Brandel-Wilhelm is only five victories away from tying for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
*This Week's Opposition:
Lewis (Ill.): Ferris State has a 22-7 edge over Lewis in the all-time series. The Bulldogs faced the Flyers once in the 2009 campaign and suffered a 3-0 setback. The Bulldogs hold an 11-0 home advantage and are 11-7 when playing away from home versus LU. Lewis currently holds a 13-4 overall and 8-3 GLVC record this season. This marks the fifth season for Flyers' head coach Lorelle Smith, who has compiled an overall record of 135-26 for Lewis in her career. Smith was named the GLVC Coach of the Year in both 2009 and 2010.
Northern Kentucky: The Bulldogs and Norse are even at 5-5 all-time with all matches against NKU coming either in Highland Heights or a neutral site. Northern Kentucy is currently 15-2 overall and holds a 9-2 GLVC record this year. The Norse have swept their last five opponents with identical 3-0 scores. Northern Kentucky is coached by former NKU All-American student-athlete Liz Holmes, who is in her first season as head coach.
Missouri S&T: Ferris State has a 1-0 all-time series advantage when facing the Missouri S&T Miners. The Miners hold a current overall record of 14-6 and are 9-2 in the GLVC conference. Missouri S&T split last weekend as they dropped a 3-1 decision against Southern Indiana and then swept Kentucky Wesleyan. Head coach Jason Holt is in his fifth season in his position.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*Bulldog Bites: Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 564 total helpers thus far in the season … Ferris State has had 667 total kills while opponents are currently at 594 kills … Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 126.0 total blocks, 55 block solos and 142 block assists while averaging 2.5 blocks per set … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) has contributed 52.0 blocks with six block solos and 46 block assists … Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) has 221 digs on the 2011 campaign and is averaging 4.33 digs per set ... The Bulldogs are on a current 10-match win streak.
*GLIAC Standing/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 303-81 (.789) record to date in 31 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which has accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2010. Overall, Ferris is 156-41 (.792) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th-straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.