Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 15-16)
vs. Lake Erie
Friday, Oct. 7 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Saturday, Oct. 8 - 2 p.m. (EDT)
*The Opening Serve: The Ferris State University women's volleyball team will continue Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) competition on the road this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 7-8). On Friday, the Bulldogs will square off for only the second time in program history against the Lake Erie Storm. Saturday's match will be against the Ashland Eagles.
*Ticket Information: Tickets for the 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches. Selected Ferris State home games will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 821-432 (.657). Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 13-1 overall and 9-1 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (GLIAC) North Division to date. The Bulldogs have a current win streak of eight-straight after defeating Saginaw Valley State (Oct. 1) and Grand Valley (Oct. 2). Each match was a 3-0 decisions in favor of FSU. Ferris State has had continued success at home this season with a perfect 11-0 mark. The Bulldogs have not dropped a set since a match loss against Northern Michigan on Sept. 11.
* The Coaches: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a career record of 437-181 (.657). Brandel-Wilhelm entered the 2011 campaign just 20 victories away from a tie for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
*This Week's Opposition:
Lake Erie: Ferris State has a 1-0 edge over Lake Erie in the all-time series. The Bulldogs faced the Storm once in the 2010 campaign with a 3-0 victory at home (10/3/10). This Friday's match will mark the Bulldogs' first-ever appearance in Painesville and only the second time they have faced each other. Lake Erie currently holds a 2-8 overall and 1-7 GLIAC record in the conference's south division. This is the first season at the helm for Lake Erie women's volleyball head coach Brian Coughlin.
Ashland: The Bulldogs hold a 15-4 overall series rmark against the Eagles. Ferris State is 7-1 at home and 8-3 on the road versus the Eagles. Last season, the Bulldogs faced the Eagles once and recorded a 3-2 victory at the Ewigleben Sports Arena in Big Rapids. Ashland currently holds a 9-3 overall mark and is leading the South Division with a 7-1 league record. This is the inaugural season for Ashland head coach Cass Dixon.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*National Attention: The Bulldogs are currently ranked 11th in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division II Coaches Top 25 Poll. This is the highest ranking for the program in 20 years. The Bulldogs jumped six spots from 17th last week in the AVCA's weekly poll. Overall, the Bulldogs are ranked this week for the 87th time in school history and third time this season.
*Bulldog Bites: Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 502 total helpers thus far … Ferris State has recorded 596 total kills while opponents are currently at 531 kills … Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 108 total blocks with 47 block solos and 122 block assists … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) has registered 46 blocks with five block solos and 41 block assists … Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) has 196 digs on the 2011 campaign and is averaging 4.23 digs per set .... The Bulldogs are on a current 11-match win streak at home ..... Junior outside hitter Anne Sutton (Grand Rapids/Northview) tallied 26 kills in the last two matches.
*GLIAC Standings/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 303-81 (.789) record to date in 31 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which has accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2010. Overall, Ferris is 156-41 (.792) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th-straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.