vs. Grand Valley State
Wednesday, Sept. 14 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Big Rapids, Mich.
vs. Lake Superior State
Saturday, Sept. 17- 2 p.m. (EDT)
Big Rapids, Mich.
Sunday, Sept. 18 - 2 p.m. (EDT)
Big Rapids, Mich.
*The Opening Serve: The Ferris State University women's volleyball team will begin a seven-match home stretch of Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) competition this Wednesday (Sept. 14) against the Grand Valley State Lakers. The Bulldogs will go on to host the Lake Superior State Lakers Saturday (Sept. 17) afternoon followed by the Northwood Timberwolves on Sunday (Sept. 18).
*Ticket Information: Tickets for the 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches. Selected Ferris State home games will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 813-462 (.673). Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 5-1 overall and 1-1 in the GLIAC North Division to date. The Bulldogs began conference match play this past weekend (Sept. 9 and 11), splitting a pair of GLIAC road games, with a three-set win over Michigan Tech on Friday (Sept. 9). The win was followed by a five-set loss to Northern Michigan on Sunday (9/11).
* The Coaches: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a career record of 311-161 (.657). Brandel-Wilhelm entered the 2011 campaign just 20 victories away from a tie for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
*This Week's Opposition:
Grand Valley State: Grand Valley has a 58-40 lead over Ferris State in the all-time series. The Bulldogs faced the Lakers twice in the 2010 campaign, but fell short in both matches. The first match in Allendale ended in a 3-1 (9/15) loss for the Bulldogs. Their second encounter of the season ended in a 3-0 (10/1) decision at home. GVSU holds a lead against Ferris State in both home and away matches, 21-15 and 37-25, respectively. Grand Valley State is currently 4-2 overall and 1-1 in the GLIAC. This is the sixteenth season as the head coach for GVSU's Deanne Scanlon.
Lake Superior State: Ferris State and Lake Superior will meet for the 83rd time as the Bulldogs hold a 65-17 all-time series advantage over the Lakers. Ferris State claimed last season's series', prevailing 3-1 (9/19) and then posting a 3-0 victory (11/5). Ferris State's record is currently 34-4 at home against Lake Superior and stands at a 31-13 when playing in Sault Ste. Marie. Lake Superior State head coach Ben Kaszeta is in his inaugural season with the squad. The volleyball team is currently 2-4 on the 2011 season and 1-1 in GLIAC competition.
Northwood: The Bulldogs edge out the Timberwolves in an all time series at 30-21 overall. This includes a 30-21 at home record for the Bulldogs. However, on the road, Ferris State trails 14-13 with Northwood. In the 2010 campaign, the Bulldogs swept the series with a 3-0 win at Northwood (9/18) and a 3-1 victory at home (11/4). The Timberwolves stand at 4-3 overall and enter the week undefeated with a 2-0 record in the GLIAC. Northwood is led by head coach Tim Koth, who is in his seventh season.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*Player of the Week: Senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) was tabbed as the GLIAC's Player of the Week (Sept. 7) for her outstanding play in the Ferris State Invitational. Huntey leads the team in attacks with 79 in six matches played in the current season. Huntey currently holds a .320 kill percentage and averages 3.76 kills per set.
*Bulldog Bites: Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 228 total helpers thus far in the season … Ferris State has had 273 total kills while opponents are currently at 223 kills … Ferris State also leads opponents in total attacks at 670 to 654 …Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 45 total blocks … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) accounts for 21.0 of the team's total, two block solo's and contributing to 24 block assists.
*GLIAC Standing/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Marysville/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 296-81 (.78) record to date in 30 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which has accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2010. Overall, Ferris is 149-41 (.784) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.