Women's Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 5-6)
at Michigan Tech
Friday, Sept. 9 - 7 p.m. (ET)
at Northern Michigan
Sunday, Sept. 11- 2 p.m. (ET)
*The Opening Serve: The Ferris State University women's volleyball team begins Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play this weekend (Sept. 9 and 11) on the road against a pair of Michigan Upper Peninsula teams. Friday (Sept. 9) evening, the Bulldogs will compete against the Michigan Tech Huskies in Houghton. The conference play continues on Sunday (Sept. 11) as Ferris State travels to Marquette to face the Northern Michigan Wildcats.
*Ticket Information: Tickets for the 2011 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
*Media Coverage: Live stats will be available for all Bulldog home matches. Selected Ferris State home contests will feature live video streaming for $7.95 a match. For more information, visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
*39th Season: The 2011 campaign represents Ferris State's 39th season of women's volleyball. The Bulldogs own an all-time record of 812-461 (.567). Since the program's inception in 1973, the Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II Tournament and registered 31 winning seasons.
* 2011 Record: Ferris State is currently 4-0 overall and 0-0 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (GLIAC) North Division to date.
* The Coach: Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), is midst her 16th year at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm holds a career record of 310-160 (.657). Brandel-Wilhelm enters the 2011 campaign just 20 victories away from a tie for Ferris State's all-time winningest coach. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
*This Week's Opposition:
Michigan Tech: Ferris State has a 51-14 lead over Michigan Tech in the all-time series record. The Bulldogs notched a 3-1 win over the Huskies last season (10/24) in Houghton, Mich. Ferris State is 24-7 at home and 27-7 on the road against Michigan Tech. MTU is currently 2-3 on their season and will be beginning GLIAC play this weekend. This will be the third season as the Michigan Tech head coach for Orlando Gonzalez.
Northern Michigan: Ferris State and Northern Michigan will meet for the 45th time as the Wildcats hold a 44-40 all-time series advantage over the Bulldogs. NMU claimed last season's series, prevailing 3-1 (9/10) and then posting a 3-2 victory (10/22). Ferris State's record is currently 20-17 at home against Northern Michigan and stands at 20-27 when playing in Marquette. Northern Michigan head coach Dominic Yoder is in his fifth season with the squad. The volleyball team is currently 1-3 on the 2011 season.
*2011 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected third in the 2011 GLIAC Preseason North Division Coaches Poll. This season, Hillsdale was picked as the top team in the South Division and Northern Michigan as the first-place team in the North Division. Falling two points behind Northern Michigan was second-place Grand Valley State.
*A Good Sign: Senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) leads the team in attacks with 53 in four matches played in the current season. Huntey has also had a strong presence at the net with 7.0 blocks.
*Bulldog Bites: Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) leads the team in assists with 142 total helpers thus far in the season …Ferris State has had 170 total kills while opponents are currently at 123 kills … Ferris State also leads its opponents in total attacks at 421 to 392 ... Defensively, the Bulldogs have racked up 25 total blocks … Freshman middle hitter Courtney Rehm (Portage/Central) accounts for 20.0 of the team's total, two block solo's and contributing to 18 block assists.
*GLIAC Standing/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2011 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link – GLIAC STANDINGS LINK. The composite 2011 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link – GLIAC SCHEDULE
*2011 Team Captains: Serving as the 2011 FSU team captains are senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Marysville/Morley-Stanwood), junior setter Samantha Fordyce (Dewitt) and junior outside hitter Aly Brecht (Alma). Fordyce and Tobiczyk both served as captains in the 2010 season.
*2011 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2011 active roster includes three seniors, six juniors, three sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one member of the team is from Michigan.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a 296-81 (.78) record to date in 30 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which has accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2010. Overall, Ferris is 149-41 (.784) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2010 season with a 18-10 overall record and a 13-6 record in GLIAC play. The Bulldogs appeared in their 13th straight GLIAC Tournament a season ago. Ferris State finished the regular season in fourth-place among the North Division.
* 2011 Ferris State Invitational Recap: The Bulldogs posted a 4-0 record at the 2011 Ferris State Invitational (Sept. 2-3) last weekend. Ferris State shut out Drury in a 3-0 decision and prevailed over Wisconsin-Parkside in a 3-1 stanza on the first day of tournament play. On the concluding day of the tournament, the Bulldogs shut out both Southern Indiana and California (Pa.) in 3-0 decisions to sweep the tournament.
* All-Conference Returners: Ferris State has three All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad returning. Senior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) and senior outside hitter Ashley Huntey (Stanwood/Morley-Stanwood) both received second team recognition. Junior setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) was named on the honorable mention team.
*Yearbook Available Online: The 2011 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2011 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2010 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2011 Yearbook link to view the online publication.