Women's Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 24-26)
vs. Saginaw Valley State Cardinals
Wednesday, Nov. 3 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Ewigleben Sports Arena - Big Rapids, Mich.
vs. Northwood Timberwolves
Thursday, Nov. 4 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Ewigleben Sports Arena - Big Rapids, Mich.
vs. Lake Superior State Lakers
Friday, Nov. 5 - 12 p.m. (EDT)
Ewigleben Sports Arena - Big Rapids, Mich.
* The Opening Serve: The Ferris State University women's volleyball team closes out its 2010 regular season this week (Nov. 3-5) with three consecutive Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) North Division matches at Big Rapids, Mich. The Bulldogs take on the Saginaw Valley State Cardinals this Wednesday (Nov. 3) at 7 p.m. (EDT) before squaring off against the Northwood Timberwolves on Thursday (Nov. 4) in a 7 p.m. (EDT) matchup. FSU concludes its regular season this Friday (Nov. 5) with the Lake Superior State Lakers providing the opposition. Opening serve is scheduled for 12 p.m. (EDT).
* Media Coverage: A live video and audio webcast will be available for all 2010 FSU women's volleyball home matches through AmericaOne.com (formerly B2 Networks) for a charge of $7 on FSU's Athletics Website at www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com (Click on AmericaOneicon). Live internet statistics will also be available for all Bulldog home matches.
* 38th Season: The 2010 campaign
represents Ferris State's 38th season of women's volleyball.
The Bulldogs have accumulated an all-time mark of 804-460
(.636) to date. Since the program's inception in 1972, the
Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times
for the NCAA-II Tournament, and registered 30 winning
* 2010 Record: Ferris State improved to 14-9 overall and 10-6 in the GLIAC North Division this season with a pair of home conference victories last weekend (Oct. 30-31) at the Ewigleben Sports Arena in Big Rapids, Mich. The Bulldogs rallied from a 2-0 deficit last Saturday (Oct. 30) to register a 3-2 triumph over Tiffin (Ohio) and then swept past Ohio Dominican, 3-0, in Sunday's (Oct. 31) matchup to extender their current winning streak to three straight. Ferris State, which has won seven of its last 10 encounters to date, has produced an 8-3 record in home outings to date this campaign.
* The Coaches: Ferris State - Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), 15th season, 302-159 (.655); Career: 18th season, 420-179 (.701). Brandel-Wilhelm entered the 2010 campaign ranking 24th in career best winning percentage (.705) among active NCAA Division II coaches while her 406 career victories prior to 2010 is 23rd-place on the NCAA-II active coaches wins list. Brandel-Wilhelm is listed 25th by winning percentage for all-time winningest NCAA-II coaches who have a minimum of 10 years serving as a head coach in the Division II ranks since 1982. The 2002 GLIAC Coach of the Year guided the Bulldogs to NCAA-II Tournament appearances in 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2005. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
* This Week's Opposition:
Saginaw Valley State: Ferris State has a 49-12 advantage against Saginaw Valley State in the all-time series and recorded a 3-2 league triumph over the Cardinals earlier this season (10/3) at University Center, Mich. A season ago, SVSU prevailed in both matchups by winning 3-0 against FSU (9/25) in Big Rapids, Mich., and then garnering a 3-1 home decision (10/30). The Bulldogs are 25-5 at home and 24-7 in away/neutral site encounters against the Cardinals. Saginaw Valley State is presently 12-11 overall and 7-9 in the GLIAC's North Division following a 3-1 home conference triumph over Tiffin last Sunday (Oct. 31). The Cardinals, who are 4-5 in away encounters this campaign, have dropped three of their last four outings to date. Saginaw Valley State is coached by eighth-year head coach Will Stanton, who was tabbed the 2008 AVCA Midwest Region Coach of the Year after guiding SVSU to a 25-8 record and a NCAA-II Midwest Regional Tournament finals appearance in the 2008 campaign. The Cardinals visit Ferris State this Wednesday (Nov. 3) before hosting Lake Superior State (Nov. 6) and Northwood (Nov. 7) to close out their regular season. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. SVSU - 22-7.
Northwood: Ferris State sports a 29-21 mark in its all-time series versus Northwood although the Timberwolves have prevailed in 13 of the last 22 matchups between the two teams. The Bulldogs claimed a 3-0 road win against the Timberwolves earlier this season (9/18) at Midland, Mich. FSU registered a 3-0 home decision over Northwood last season (9/12) in Big Rapids, Mich. Ferris State is presently 16-7 at home and 13-14 in road/neutral matches against Northwood. The Timberwolves currently are 13-10 overall with a 10-6 mark in the GLIAC North Division to date this season. Northwood, which is directed by seventh-year head coach Tim Koth, is midst a present four-match winning streak after tallying a 3-0 home victory versus Michigan Tech last Saturday (10/30). The Timberwolves are 6-3 in away outings this campaign. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. NU - 13-17.
Lake Superior State: Ferris State owns a 64-17 lead in its all-time series against Lake Superior State and has won 44 of the last 45 meetings between the two teams, including a 3-1 triumph earlier this fall (9/19) at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. FSU won both matches last season as the Bulldogs tallied a 3-0 home triumph (9/26) and then prevailed 3-0 on the road (10/31). Lake Superior State is presently 6-17 overall and 2-14 in the GLIAC's North Division this season after suffering its fourth consecutive loss with a 3-0 conference home setback to nationally-ranked Northern Michigan last Saturday (10/30). The Lakers, who are coached by 16th-year head coach Mark Engle, face Ferris State this Friday (Nov. 5) before visiting Saginaw Valley State (Nov. 6) and Grand Valley State (Nov. 7). LSSU is 2-5 on the road this campaign to date. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. LSSU - 20-1.
* A Good Sign: Senior middle hitter and All-America candidate Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central) currently ranks high among Ferris State's all-time leaders in several statistical categories. She currently ranks third in block solos (101), 11th in total blocks (376), 13th in kills (1,148), 15th in block assists (275), and 18th in hitting percentage (.244). The 2009 All-GLIAC First-Team and AVCA All-Midwest Region Team selection led the Bulldogs in kills (376), total blocks (120), block solos (44), and block assists (76) as a starter in 29 of 30 matches played last fall. She also accumulated 25 double-figure kill match performances for the 2009 campaign.
* Senior Day: This Friday's (Nov. 5) final regular-season match against Lake Superior State represents the program's annual Senior Day contest as the Bulldogs will recognize their three senior student-athletes. Comprising the group are Arielle Goodson, libero Dana Ruttle (Reed City), and middle hitter Danielle Hamilton (Galesburg/Galesburg-Augusta). The trio have combined to register a current 69-44 record (.611) during their collegiate careers (2007-10).
* Bulldog Bites: Arielle Goodson is 12 kills away from equalling her career single-season high and the program's current 33rd-place all-time best 376 kills output (3.27 kills per set) established a season ago in 30 outings. Goodson has totaled a squad-leading 364 kills (4.14 kills per set) in 22 matches this fall which presently ranks 38th highest among FSU's all-time season leaders . . . Dana Ruttle's 23 service aces in as many outings this campaign is one shy of matching her career single-season best 24 aces set in 28 matches for the 2008 campaign . . . Junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) is four digs shy of equalling her career-high 408 total established in 31 contests a season ago. Tobiczyk has dug up a team-leading 404 attack attempts by the opposition this campaign in 23 outings . . . Danielle Hamilton is six kills shy of tallying her 150th career kill. Hamilton has hammered a team fifth most and career season-best 119 kills this campaign in 23 appearances.
* November Matches: The Bulldogs have posted a 17-24 overall record (.415) in November contests dating back to 2000. Ferris State is 10-5 at home and 7-19 in road/neutral site matches during that period. FSU dropped all four of its November outings last season, which included a season-ending 3-1 loss at Grand Valley State in the 2008 GLIAC Tournament (11/12).
* Good To Be Home: Ferris State has compiled an 8-3 home record (.727) this season. The Bulldogs are averaging 12.4 kills per set (496 kills) while hitting at a .194 percentage (496-242-1,306) in their 11 home contests this campaign. FSU has averaged 1.9 service aces (77 aces), 1.6 blocks per set (64.0 total blocks), and 12.8 digs per set (513 digs) in home encounters this campaign. Arielle Goodson has hammered a squad-high 157 kills while averaging 4.24 kills per set to go with a 0.81 blocks per set average (30 total).
* Regular-Season Finales: Ferris State has registered a 3-7 mark (.300) in its regular-season finale matches since the 2000 campaign. FSU notched a 3-1 home decision over Northern Michigan in its 2009 regular-season finale (11/7). The Bulldogs' previous two victories during that span were a 3-0 home decision over Grand Valley State in 2005 (11/4) and a 3-0 home win against Northwood in 2007 (11/3).
* Productive October: Arielle Goodson turned in a productive October as she averaged 4.22 kills per set and hit for a .329 percentage, both team highs, in 11 matches. Goodson also chalked up a squad-best 36 total blocks (0.78 blocks per set) with nine block solos and 27 block assists and led the Bulldogs with 13 service aces (0.28 per set). The 2009 All-GLIAC First-Team performer compiled double-digit kill totals in 10 of her 11 outings played in, which included a career match-best 27 kills and six service aces at Northern Michigan (10/22).
* Countdown To The Top: Head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm, who earned her 300th career coaching win at Ferris State following a 3-1 conference win over Michigan Tech on Oct. 24 in Houghton, Mich., is 28 victories away from tying for top honors as the program's all-time winningest coach. Brandel-Wilhelm is second only to Jill Hirschinger (330-151 career record) for the lofty distinction. Brandel-Wilhelm has presently compiled a 302-159 (.655) coaching ledger in 15 years directing the program.
*Regional Rankings: Ferris State is ranked ninth in the first 2010 NCAA Division II Midwest Region Rankings Poll, which were released Wednesday (Oct. 27) by the NCAA-II Women's Volleyball Committee. The Bulldogs had registered a 12-9 in-region record thru matches of Oct. 25. FSU is one of four GLIAC-member representatives to be listed in the Midwest Region rankings as Hillsdale, Grand Valley State, and Northern Michigan occupy the first three placings in that respective order. The next rankings will be released this Wednesday, Nov. 3.
* Nationally Speaking: Ferris State is listed in seven team statistical categories among this week's NCAA-II national statistical leaders through Oct. 31 matches. The Bulldogs are ranked 63rd in service aces per set (1.80), 67th in both assists per set (11.65) and kills per set (12.62), 94th in win-loss percentage (.609), 155th in blocks per set (1.62), and 207th in digs per set (13.09). Individually, Arielle Goodson ranks eighth in points per set (4.95) and is 13th in kills per set (4.14) while Samantha Fordyce is listed 32nd in assists per set (10.22). Fans can view complete team and individual national rankings at this link - 2010-11 NCAA Women's Volleyball Statistics.
* GLIAC Standings/Schedule: Fans can view the complete 2010 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South Divisions at this link - GLIAC Standings. The composite 2010 conference women's volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link - GLIAC Schedule.
* 2010 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris
State was selected as preseason co-favorites to claim the GLIAC
North Division title as the Bulldogs received 32 points and two
first-place votes in the 2010 conference divisional poll.
FSU's points total matched Grand Valley State, which garnered three
first-place votes. Northern Michigan had the other
first-place vote while earning 24 points followed by Saginaw Valley
State's 23-points total. Michigan Tech (17 pts.), Northwood
(13 pts.), and Lake Superior State (six pts.) rounded out the
poll. In the South Division, Hillsdale took top honors with a
first-place 36 points and had six first-place votes. Findlay
picked up the other first-place vote and tallied a fourth-place 24
points. Ferris State was selected fourth with 13 points in
the 2009 preseason coaches poll. The results of the 2010
GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll can be accessed by clicking
on this link - 2010
GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll.
* 2010 Team Captains: Serving as the 2010 FSU team captains will be senior middle hitter Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central), senior libero Dana Ruttle (Reed City), junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), and sophomore setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt). Ruttle was also a 2009 team co-captain.
* The 2010 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2010 active roster includes three seniors, three juniors, six sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters, and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one of the team's 15 student-athletes hail from the state of Michigan.
* Productive Span: Ferris State has won 20 or
more matches nine times under 15th-year head coach Tia
Brandel-Wilhelm. The Bulldogs are 264-125 (.679) over the
past 12 years and have reached the NCAA Division II Great Lakes
Regional Tournament six times in that span. FSU has
advanced to the GLIAC Tournament the last 12 consecutive years to
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a current 289-81 (.781) record to date in 29 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2009 and is currently 6-3 at home this season. Overall, Ferris is 140-41 (.773) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2009 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2009 season with a 19-12 overall record, which included a fourth-place tying 10-6 mark in the GLIAC North Division. FSU appeared in the NCAA Division II Tournament for the 15th time in the program's history. The Bulldogs also registered the program's 12th consecutive winning campaign in 2009 and made their 12straight GLIAC Tourney appearance a season ago.
* All-Conference Returners: The Bulldogs return
two All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad in middle hitters
Arielle Goodson and Lisa
Tobiczyk. Goodson earned first-team honors in 2009
after receiving second-team recognition in the 2008 campaign.
Tobiczyk was named to the honorable mention
* Yearbook Available Online: The 2010 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2010 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2009 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2010 Yearbook link to view the online publication.