at #15 Northern Michigan Wildcats
Friday, Oct. 22 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Vandament Arena - Marquette, Mich.
Sunday, Oct. 24 - 3 p.m. (EDT)
SDC Gymnasium- Houghton, Mich.
* The Opening Serve: The 2010 Ferris State University women's volleyball team resumes action in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) this weekend (Oct. 22 and 24) as the Bulldogs travel to Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a pair of matches. FSU begins action this Friday (Oct. 22) evening going up against 15th nationally-ranked Northern Michigan in Marquette, Mich. Ferris State then concludes the weekend's action on Sunday (Oct. 24) afternoon versus Michigan Tech in Houghton, Mich.
* Media Coverage: A live video and audio webcast will be available for all 2010 FSU women's volleyball home matches through AmericaOne.com (formerly B2 Networks) for a charge of $7 on FSU's Athletics Website at www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com (Click on AmericaOneicon). Live internet statistics will also be available for all Bulldog home matches.
* 38th Season: The 2010 campaign
represents Ferris State's 38th season of women's volleyball.
The Bulldogs have accumulated an all-time mark of 801-459
(.636) to date. Since the program's inception in 1972, the
Bulldogs have won nine GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times
for the NCAA-II Tournament, and registered 30 winning
* 2010 Record: Ferris State is presently 11-8 overall and 7-5 in the GLIAC North Division this season. The Bulldogs compiled a 1-2 record at last weekend's (Oct. 15-16) 2010 Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament in Aurora, Ill. FSU dropped a 3-2 decision to nationally-ranked Missouri-St. Louis in its tourney opener last Friday (Oct. 15) before getting past Rockhurst, 3-0, in opening-day action. The Bulldogs then suffered a 3-2 setback to Wisconsin-Parkside last Saturday (Oct. 15) in its lone appearance of the day. Ferris State sports a 4-3 record in away outings this campaign.
* The Coaches: Ferris State - Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), 15th season, 299-158 (.655); Career: 18th season, 417-178 (.701). Brandel-Wilhelm had entered the 2010 campaign ranking 24th in career best winning percentage (.705) among active NCAA Division II coaches while her 406 career victories prior to 2010 is 23rd-place on the NCAA-II active coaches wins list. Brandel-Wilhelm is listed 25th by winning percentage for all-time winningest NCAA-II coaches who have a minimum of 10 years serving as a head coach in the Division II ranks since 1982. The 2002 GLIAC Coach of the Year guided the Bulldogs to NCAA-II Tournament appearances in 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2005. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
* This Week's Opposition:
Northern Michigan: Northern Michigan holds a 43-40 edge over Ferris State in the all-time series after claiming a 3-1 decision over the Bulldogs earlier this season (Sept. 10) in Big Rapids. FSU is 20-26 in away/neutral matches versus the Wildcats and notched a 3-2 decision over the 'Cats last season (Sept. 19) in Marquette, Mich. NMU, which is coached by fourth-year head coach and former Ferris State assistant Dominic Yoder, is presently 17-1 overall and 11-0 in the GLIAC's North Division this campaign. The Wildcats, who are 9-0 in home contests this season, suffered its first loss of this season last Saturday (Oct. 16) in a 3-0 setback to nationally 20th-ranked Indianapolis at the 2010 Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament in Aurora, Ill. NMU is ranked 15th nationally in this week's (Oct. 18) AVCA Division II Coaches Top 25 Poll with 366 points. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. NMU - 11-22.
Michigan Tech: Ferris State has a 50-14 all-time series advantage over Michigan Tech, which includes a 26-7 mark in away/neutral site encounters. FSU recorded a 3-1 home triumph over the Huskies earlier this season (Sept. 12) in Big Rapids. In their most recent appearance on MTU's floor (Sept. 18), the Bulldogs posted a 3-1 victory in Houghton, Mich. Michigan Tech, under second-year head coach Orlando Gonzalez, sports a current 3-14 overall record and is 2-9 in the GLIAC's North Division this season. MTU, which is 1-4 in home matches this fall, hopes to end a three-match losing skid as the Huskies host Saginaw Valley State (Oct. 22) and Grand Valley State (Oct. 23) before entertaining the Bulldogs this Sunday (Oct. 24). Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. MTU - 24-7.
* 2010 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected as preseason co-favorites to claim the GLIAC North Division title as the Bulldogs received 32 points and two first-place votes in the 2010 conference divisional poll. FSU's points total matched Grand Valley State, which garnered three first-place votes. Northern Michigan had the other first-place vote while earning 24 points followed by Saginaw Valley State's 23-points total. Michigan Tech (17 pts.), Northwood (13 pts.), and Lake Superior State (six pts.) rounded out the poll. In the South Division, Hillsdale took top honors with a first-place 36 points and had six first-place votes. Findlay picked up the other first-place vote and tallied a fourth-place 24 points. Ferris State was selected fourth with 13 points in the 2009 preseason coaches poll. The results of the 2010 GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll can be accessed by clicking on this link - 2010 GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll.
* A Good Sign: Senior middle hitter and All-America candidate Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central) currently ranks high among Ferris State's all-time leaders in several statistical categories. She currently ranks third in block solos (96), 13th in total blocks (364), 17th in kills (1,071), 15th in block assists (268) and tied for 20th in hitting percentage (.238). The 2009 All-GLIAC First-Team and AVCA All-Midwest Region Team selection led the Bulldogs in kills (376), total blocks (120), block solos (44), and block assists (76) as a starter in 29 of 30 matches played last fall. She also accumulated 25 double-figure kill match performances for the 2009 campaign.
* Bulldog Bites: Arielle Goodson recorded her 16th double-figure kills match this season with a 20-kills effort against Wisconsin-Parkside Saturday (Oct. 16) at the Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament in Aurora, Ill. Goodson has presently tallied at least 20 kills in a contest three times this fall to date – 20 against Michigan Tech (9/12) and a career-high 26 kills versus Ashland (10/8) . . . Junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) is 56 digs away from tying for ninth place on Ferris State's all-time leaders list with Tracie Henne (1990-93; 1,162 career digs). Tobiczyk, who has a team-high 324 digs in 19 outings this season, has presently amassed 1,106 career digs in 79 contests . . . Sophomore setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) needs 35 more assists to attain 2,000 career helpers and would be the 10th player in program history to reach the milestone. Fordyce has presently distributed a FSU 10th-most 1,965 career assists in 50 appearances on the court and trails Andrea Rich (2005-08; 2,016 career assists) by 51 helpers for ninth-place honors . . . Arielle Goodson is four block solos shy of reaching the 100 career mark and would become the third individual in the program's history to accomplish the feat. Goodson is 31 block solos away from moving into a second-place tie with Karen Volkers (1987-90; 127 career block solos) on the Bulldogs' all-time leaders list . . . Senior middle hitter Danielle Hamilton (Galesburg/Galesburg-Augusta) is six kills shy of attaining her 100th kill this season. Hamilton has currently put down a career season-best 94 kills in 19 matches while averaging 1.36 kills per set.
* Crossover All-Tourney Team: Libero Lisa Tobiczyk was selected to the 2010 Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover All-Tournament team. She concluded the three-match tourney averaging 4.92 digs per set with a team-high 64 total in 13 sets. Tobiczyk also had a combined three assists (0.23 per set) and one service ace (0.08 per set).
* October Matches: Ferris State is 71-31 overall (.696) in October matches since the 2000 season, which includes a 4-3 mark this season to date. The Bulldogs sport a 33-11 home mark and are 38-20 in road/neutral site outings during that span. FSU was victorious in six of its 10 October contests a season ago, which included a 2-0 home ledger, 2-3 on the road, and 2-1 at neutral sites. The Bulldogs began the month in 2009 by winning five straight after dropping their initial match of the month.
* Just One More: Head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm is one victory shy of notching her 300th career win at Ferris State. Brandel-Wilhelm, who has compiled a current 299-158 (.654) coaching ledger in 15 years at FSU, trails Jill Hirschinger (330-151 record) by 31 victories in tying for top honors as the program's all-time winningest coach.
* Nationally Speaking: Ferris State is listed in seven team statistical categories among this week's NCAA-II national statistical leaders through Oct. 17 matches. The Bulldogs are ranked 64th in service aces per set (1.81), 76th in kills per set (12.45), 77th in assists per set (11.46), 80th in hitting percentage (.211), 104th in win-loss percentage (.579), 142nd in blocks per set (1.64), and 215th in digs per set (12.73). Individually, Arielle Goodson ranks 11th in points per set (4.80) and is 14th in kills per set (4.04) while Samantha Fordyce is listed 47th in assists per set (9.92). Fans can view complete team and individual national rankings at this link - 2010-11 NCAA Women's Volleyball Statistics.
* 2010 Crossover Tourney Recap: The Bulldogs registered a 1-2 record at the 2010 Mizuno GLVC/GLIAC Crossover Tournament (Oct. 15-16) held at the Great Lakes Center in Aurora, Ill. FSU defeated Southern Indiana (3-0) and Missouri-St. Louis (3-2) in the first day's action (Oct. 16) before falling to nationally-ranked Lewis (3-0) in its lone second-day appearance (Oct. 17). Following the tournament, Lisa Tobiczyk was among 12 individuals and one of six from a GLIAC school to earn GLVC/GLIAC Crossover All-Tournament Team recognition.
* October Is "Dig Pink": The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) has designated the month of October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month as universities throughout the nation annually continue to show their support in the fight against breast cancer. Please visit this link for more information on National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
* GLIAC Standings/Schedule: Fans can view
the complete 2010 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South
Divisions at this link - GLIAC
Standings. The composite 2010 conference women's
volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link - GLIAC
* 2010 Team Captains: Serving as the 2010 FSU team captains will be senior middle hitter Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central), senior libero Dana Ruttle (Reed City), junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), and sophomore setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt). Ruttle was also a 2009 team co-captain.
* The 2010 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2010 active roster includes three seniors, three juniors, six sophomores and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters, five are outside hitters, and the four others fill the squad's setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one of the team's 15 student-athletes hail from the state of Michigan.
* Productive Span: Ferris State has won 20 or
more matches nine times under 15th-year head coach Tia
Brandel-Wilhelm. The Bulldogs are 261-124 (.678) over the
past 12 years and have reached the NCAA Division II Great Lakes
Regional Tournament six times in that span. FSU has
advanced to the GLIAC Tournament the last 12 consecutive years to
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a current 287-81 (.779) record to date in 29 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2009 and is currently 6-3 at home this season. Overall, Ferris is 140-41 (.773) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2009 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2009 season with a 19-12 overall record, which included a fourth-place tying 10-6 mark in the GLIAC North Division. FSU appeared in the NCAA Division II Tournament for the 15th time in the program's history. The Bulldogs also registered the program's 12th consecutive winning campaign in 2009 and made their 12straight GLIAC Tourney appearance a season ago.
* All-Conference Returners: The Bulldogs return
two All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad in middle hitters
Arielle Goodson and Lisa
Tobiczyk. Goodson earned first-team honors in 2009
after receiving second-team recognition in the 2008 campaign.
Tobiczyk was named to the honorable mention
* Yearbook Available Online: The 2010 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2010 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2009 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2010 Yearbook link to view the online publication.