Women's Volleyball Weekly Notes (Matches 10-12)
at #16 Hillsdale Chargers
Friday, Sept. 24 - 7 p.m. (EDT)
Jesse Philips Arena - Hillsdale, Mich.
at Wayne State
Saturday, Sept. 25 - 4 p.m. (EDT)
Matthaei Center - Detroit, Mich.
Sunday, Sept. 26 - 2 p.m. (EDT)
Croy Gymnasium - Findlay, Ohio
* The Opening Serve: The Ferris State University women's volleyball team continues its current Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) road trip as the Bulldogs play three league matches this weekend (Sept. 24-26) in as many days. FSU starts this weekend's action on Friday (Sept. 24) taking on nationally 16th-ranked Hillsdale Chargers in Hillsdale, Mich. The Bulldogs then square off against the Wayne State Warriors this Saturday (Sept. 25) in Detroit, Mich., before concluding the weekend with a Sunday (Sept. 26) encounter versus the Findlay Oilers in Findlay, Ohio.
* Ticket Information: Tickets for all 2010 Ferris State women's volleyball regular-season home matches are available at the door. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and and $3 for students (K-12), FSU faculty/staff and senior citizens. Ferris State students with valid ID will be admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888.
* Media Coverage: A live video and audio webcast will be available for all 2010 FSU women's volleyball home matches through AmericaOne.com (formerly B2 Networks) for a charge of $7 on FSU's Athletics Website at www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com (Click on AmericaOneicon). Live internet statistics will also be available for all Bulldog home matches.
* 38th Season: The 2010 campaign
represents Ferris State's 38th season of women's volleyball.
The Bulldogs own an all-time mark of 796-454 (.637) to date.
Since the program's inception in 1972, the Bulldogs have won nine
GLIAC titles, qualified 15 times for the NCAA-II
Tournament, and registered 30 winning seasons.
* 2010 Record: Ferris State improved to its season record to 6-3 overall and 3-2 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference's (GLIAC) North Division this season to date after posting a 2-1 league mark in last week's three conference road outings. The Bulldogs suffered a 3-1 loss to West Michigan rival Grand Valley State last Wednesday (Sept. 15) in Allendale, Mich., but then came away with a pair of victories at Northwood and Lake Superior State. FSU claimed a 3-0 decision over Northwood last Friday (Sept. 17) at Midland, Mich., and notched a 3-1 win over Lake Superior State on Sunday (Sept. 19) in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.
* The Coaches: Ferris State - Tia Brandel-Wilhelm (Alma, 1990), 15th season, 294-153 (.658); Career: 18th season, 412-173 (.704). Brandel-Wilhelm had entered the 2010 campaign ranking 24th in career best winning percentage (.705) among active NCAA Division II coaches while her 406 career victories prior to 2010 is 23rd-place on the NCAA-II active coaches wins list. Brandel-Wilhelm is listed 25th by winning percentage for all-time winningest NCAA-II coaches who have a minimum of 10 years serving as a head coach in the Division II ranks since 1982. The 2002 GLIAC Coach of the Year guided the Bulldogs to NCAA-II Tournament appearances in 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2005. She became the program's fifth head coach in June 1996.
* This Week's Opposition:
Ferris State owns a 48-12 advantage over Hillsdale in the all-time
series, which includes prevailing in three of the
last five outings between the two teams. FSU posted a 3-1
regular-season triumph at Hillsdale a season ago (10/3) before
being dealt a 3-1 road loss by the Chargers in the 2009 GLIAC
Tournament Quarterfinals (Nov. 11). The Bulldogs have
accumulated a 25-10 overall mark in away/neutral site outings
versus Hillsdale. The Chargers, who are currently 8-1
overall and 5-0 in the GLIAC's South Division, extended their
winning streak to seven consecutive with a 3-0 conference win
against Ohio Dominican last Saturday (Sept. 18) in Columbus,
Ohio. Hillsdale, under 14th-year head coach Chris Gravel, are
3-0 in home contests this fall. Hillsdale is ranked
16th nationally in this week's (Sept. 20) American Volleyball
Coaches Association (AVCA) Division II Coaches Top 25 Poll
with 303 points. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm
vs. HC - 14-5.
Wayne State : Ferris State has a 44-27 lead over Wayne State in their all-time series. In the last meeting a season ago (9/11) at Big Rapids, Ferris recorded a 3-2 home victory over the Warriors. FSU, which has won the last 12 series meetings to date, is 23-21 on the road and 21-6 at home in the series. The Warriors, under third-year head coach Phil Nickel, are presently 5-4 overall and 3-2 in the GLIAC South Division after winning their second straight match with a 3-0 conference triumph against Ohio Dominican last Sunday (Sept. 19) in Columbus, Ohio. The Warriors have won three of their last four outings to date. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. WSU - 12-3.
Findlay: Ferris State presently holds an 8-5 series lead against Findlay despite dropping a 3-2 decision to the Oilers a season ago (10/2) in Findlay, Ohio. The Bulldogs are 4-4 in the last eight meetings between the two teams to date. Ferris State has registered a 3-5 all-time ledger in away encounters versus the Oilers. UF, which is coached by 13th-year head coach Wick Colchagoff, is currently 7-3 overall with a 3-1 GLIAC South Division mark. The Oilers have won four of their last five contests, which includes a 3-1 conference road decision over Ohio Dominican last Friday (Sept. 17) in Columbus, Ohio. Findlay currently sports a 2-0 home ledger this season. Tia Brandel-Wilhelm vs. UF - 8-5.
* 2010 GLIAC Volleyball Preseason Poll: Ferris State was selected as preseason co-favorites to claim the GLIAC North Division title as the Bulldogs received 32 points and two first-place votes in the 2010 conference divisional poll. FSU's points total matched Grand Valley State, which garnered three first-place votes. Northern Michigan had the other first-place vote while earning 24 points followed by Saginaw Valley State's 23-points total. Michigan Tech (17 pts.), Northwood (13 pts.), and Lake Superior State (six pts.) rounded out the poll. In the South Division, Hillsdale took top honors with a first-place 36 points and had six first-place votes. Findlay picked up the other first-place vote and tallied a fourth-place 24 points. Ferris State was selected fourth with 13 points in the 2009 preseason coaches poll. The results of the 2010 GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll can be accessed by clicking on this link - 2010 GLIAC Women's Volleyball Coaches' Poll.
* Fordyce Recognized: Sophomore setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt) has been selected as this week's (Sept. 20) GLIAC North Division Player of the Week per an announcement made by the conference office. Fordyce generated 122 total assists for an 11.0 average per set in Ferris State's three road matches this past week. She posted match highs in assists with 45 total at Grand Valley State (Sept. 15), 33 at Northwood (Sept. 18), and 44 helpers at Lake Superior State (Sept. 19). She also recorded a season match-high .857 hitting percentage at Grand Valley State with a season-high six kills in seven attempts. Fordyce, one of four 2010 team captains, chalked up a personal season match-best nine digs apiece in encounters versus Grand Valley State and Lake Superior State.
* A Good Sign: Senior middle hitter and All-America candidate Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central) currently ranks high among Ferris State's all-time leaders in several statistical categories. She is tied for fifth in block solos (84), 16th in total blocks (328), 20th in both block assists (244) and in kills (901), and is listed 28th in hitting percentage (.228). The 2009 All-GLIAC First-Team and AVCA All-Midwest Region Team selection led the Bulldogs in kills (376), total blocks (120), block solos (44), and block assists (76) as a starter in 29 of 30 matches played last fall. She also accumulated 25 double-figure kill match performances for the 2009 campaign.
* Court Improvement: Senior middle hitter Danielle Hamilton (Galesburg/Galesburg-Augusta) has put down 44 kills (1.57 kills per set) in 28 sets this season through the Bulldogs' first nine matches. A season ago thru nine outings, Hamilton recorded two kills (0.40 kills per set) in five sets. She racked up a career match-high 10 kills at Northwood (Sept. 18) to surpass her previous best of nine kills against Michigan Tech earlier this season (Sept. 12).
* Bulldog Bites: Sophomore outside hitter Aly Brecht's (Alma) 10 kills at Lake Superior State last Sunday (Sept. 19) represents a career match high, eclipsing her eight kills in the Bulldogs' previous appearance at Northwood this past Saturday (Sept. 18) . . . The Bulldogs are averaging 12.53 kills per set and hitting at a .212 clip in their nine contests this season compared to producing 13.79 kills a set with a .184 attack percentage a season ago following their initial nine appearances. Both the 2009 and 2010 squads compiled 6-3 records thru their first nine matches . . . Samantha Fordyce produced a career match-best .857 hitting percentage at Grand Valley State last Wednesday (Sept. 15) with six kills in seven attack attempts. Fordyce's previous best percentage was .667 set last season on two occasions - vs. West Virginia State (Aug. 28) and against Minnesota, Crookston (Aug. 29) both at the Ferris State Invitational . . . Junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville) has moved into 16th place on FSU's all-time digs leaders list with 906 in 69 career matches to date. Tobiczyk, who has currently accumulated a team-leading 124 digs in nine matches this season, is 41 digs away from tying Karla Fairbanks' (2001-04) 947 career digs total for 15th-place honors . . . Samantha Fordyce's 1,533 career assists currently ranks 12th among the program's all-time leaders and is 19 helpers shy of moving into an 11th-place tie with Wendy McCann (1984-87; 1,552 career assists).
* Home and Away: Ferris State is averaging 11.9 kills per set (249 kills) in its six home matches this season while recording 10.4 digs per set (218 digs), 1.8 blocks a set (38 total blocks), and 2.5 services aces per set (52 total). In away matches this campaign, the Bulldogs are averaging 13.8 kills per set (152 kills), 14.1 digs per set (155 digs), 1.5 blocks a set (16 total blocks), and 2.4 service aces per set (26 total).
* Nationally Speaking: Ferris State presently ranks 16th among this week's NCAA-II national statistical leaders in service aces per set (2.44 avg.) while the Bulldogs are listed 65th in kills (12.53) and 68th in win-loss percentage (.667) through matches of Sept. 19. FSU ranks 74th in hitting percentage (.212), 83rd in assists per set (11.28 avg.), 115th in blocks per set (1.69), and 216th in digs per set (11.63 avg.). Arielle Goodson is 13th in points per set (4.78) and ranks 14th in kills per set (4.03). Fans can view complete team and individual national rankings at this link - 2010-11 NCAA Women's Volleyball Statistics.
* GLIAC Standings/Schedule: Fans can view
the complete 2010 GLIAC Standings for both the North and South
Divisions at this link - GLIAC
Standings. The composite 2010 conference women's
volleyball schedule can be accessed at this link - GLIAC
* 2010 Team Captains: Serving as the 2010 FSU team captains will be senior middle hitter Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central), senior libero Dana Ruttle (Reed City), junior libero Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville), and sophomore setter Samantha Fordyce (DeWitt). Ruttle was also a 2009 team co-captain.
* The 2010 FSU Roster: Ferris State's 2010
active roster includes three seniors, three juniors, six sophomores
and three freshmen. Six of the 15 players are middle hitters,
five are outside hitters, and the four others fill the squad's
setter, defensive specialist and libero roles. All but one of
the team's 15 student-athletes hail from the state of
* Productive Span: Ferris State has won 20 or more matches nine times under 15th-year head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm. The Bulldogs are 255-120 (.680) over the past 12 years and have reached the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Regional Tournament six times in that span. FSU has advanced to the GLIAC Tournament the last 12 consecutive years to date.
* Ewigleben Sports Arena: The Bulldogs have compiled a current 285-80 (.781) record to date in 29 seasons of competition at the Ewigleben Sports Arena since moving from the Health and Physical Education (HPE) Building in 1981. Ferris, which accumulated six undefeated home seasons in the facility, produced a 10-5 home ledger in 2009. Overall, Ferris is 138-40 (.775) in home matches under head coach Tia Brandel-Wilhelm.
* 2009 Record: Ferris State concluded the 2009 season with a 19-12 overall record, which included a fourth-place tying 10-6 mark in the GLIAC North Division. FSU appeared in the NCAA Division II Tournament for the 15th time in the program's history. The Bulldogs also registered the program's 12th consecutive winning campaign in 2009 and made their 12straight GLIAC Tourney appearance a season ago.
* All-Conference Returners: The Bulldogs return
two All-GLIAC performers from last season's squad in middle hitters
Arielle Goodson (Grand Rapids/Central) and
Lisa Tobiczyk (Marysville). Goodson earned
first-team honors in 2009 after receiving second-team recognition
in the 2008 campaign. Tobiczyk was named to the honorable mention
* Yearbook Available Online: The 2010 Ferris State University Women's Yearbook is available to view online in a PDF format. The publication features such information as 2010 player rosters, season outlook, player biographies, coaching staff information, 2009 season statistics, career and season statistical records, series records, game records, etc. Click on this 2010 Yearbook link to view the online publication.