Women's Tennis Win Streak Halted By Calvin
Grand Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University women's tennis
team saw its five-match winning streak come to an end on Tuesday
(March 2) as the Bulldogs suffered a narrow 5-4 non-league loss at
The Knights claimed the second and third doubles spots to take a 2-1 advantage heading into singles play. They then were able to split the six singles flights in notching the victory.
Calvin improved to 3-1 overall this campaign with the triumph
while FSU fell to 10-6 overall after suffering its first loss in
four spring matches.
Junior Tiffany Rheynard was the lone double winner on the day for Ferris State as she pulled out a straight-set win at the second singles spot and teamed up with junior Amy Ingle for an 8-4 doubles victory at the number one position.
Ferris State will wrap up its regular-season play with four matches on its annual spring trip. This year, the Bulldogs will travel to Missouri and Kansas where they will face Missouri-Kansas City, Northwest Missouri State, Southwest Baptist (Mo.) and Washburn (Kan.) from March 9-12.
FSU's first scheduled match on the trip is a non-league tilt at Missouri-Kansas City on Tuesday, March 9, starting at 3 p.m. (EST).
Below are complete match results:
1. Melissa Ooosterhouse (CALVINW) def. Amy Ingle (FS) 6-1, 6-3
2. Tiffany Rheynard (FS) def. Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 6-2, 7-5
3. Elisabeth Geenen (CALVINW) def. Tabitha Simpson (FS) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) def. Melissa Flowers (FS) 6-4, 7-5
5. Natalie Diorio (FS) def. Michelle Busscher (CALVINW) 6-2, 6-4
6. Daniela Dimas (FS) def. Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Amy Ingle/Tiffany Rheynard (FS) def. Melissa Ooosterhouse/Kaitlin Spoelhof (CALVINW) 8-4
2. Jill VanVeen/Rachel Strikwerda (CALVINW) def. Natalie Diorio/Mary Coleman (FS) 8-4
3. Elisabeth Geenen/Rachel DeGroot (CALVINW) def. Melissa Flowers/Daniela Dimas (FS) 8-5