FSU Pulls Out Win Over Grand Valley State
Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University women's tennis
team pulled out a thrilling 5-4 Great Lakes Intercollegiate
Athletic Conference (GLIAC) victory over West Michigan rival Grand
Valley State on Friday (Oct. 9) afternoon inside the FSU Racquet
and Fitness Center in Big Rapids, Mich.
The Bulldogs took an early 2-1 lead with a pair of wins in the doubles round and then split the six singles flights to grab the victory.
Ferris used seven different players in Friday's match and five of them earned at least one win in the league encounter. Junior Amy Ingle and sophomore Melissa Flowers were both double winners on the day.
The Bulldog win snapped a five-match Laker winning streak in the all-time series' and FSU improved to 4-3 both overall and in league play with the triumph. The Lakers dropped to 4-2 overall and in conference action.
Two of Ferris' three singles wins came in three sets as Ingle topped GVSU's Tara Hayes 6-7 (6-7), 6-0, 6-0 at the number one flight and Flowers beat the Lakers' Jackie Shipman 6-0, 5-7, 6-1 at the fifth spot in the lineup. Ferris' final singles triumph came at the sixth position in the lineup where sophomore Mary Coleman beat Katelyn Grashorn 6-1, 7-6 (7-2).
The Bulldogs are next scheduled to visit Ashland on Friday, Oct. 16, for a 3 p.m. (EDT) league encounter in Ashland, Ohio. FSU then takes on Tiffin on Saturday, Oct. 17, for an 11 a.m. (EDT) league tilt in Tiffin, Ohio. The two matches are the Bulldogs' final ones prior to the GLIAC Tournament on Oct. 24-25 in Lansing, Mich.
1. Amy Ingle (FS) def. Tara Hayes (GV) 6-7 (6-7), 6-0, 6-0
2. Katelyn Schaffer (GV) def. Tiffany Rheynard (FS) 6-2, 6-7 (1-7), 6-4
3. Chelsea Johnston (GV) def. Tabitha Simpson (FS) 6-0, 6-0
4. Darylann Trout (GV) def. Natalie Diorio (FS) 6-2, 6-0
5. Melissa Flowers (FS) def. Jackie Shipman (GV) 6-0, 5-7, 6-1
6. Mary Coleman (FS) def. Katelyn Grashorn (GV) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Amy Ingle/Tiffany Rheynard (FS) def. Darylann Trout/Chelsea Johnston (GV) 8-4
2. Katelyn Schaffer/Tara Hayes (GV) def. Tabitha Simpson/Mary Coleman (FS) 8-2
3. Melissa Flowers/Daniela Dimas (FS) def. Rachel Rendina/Jackie Shipman (GV) 8-5