Big Rapids, Mich. – Wayne State took a slim lead after the
doubles round and held on to beat Ferris State by a 5-4 count in
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC)
women’s tennis play on Saturday (Oct. 3) morning at the FSU
Racquet and Fitness Center in Big Rapids, Mich.
The Warriors claimed wins at the second and third doubles spots and then split the six singles flights to improve to 6-2 overall and 5-2 in conference action.
The Bulldogs fell to 3-3 both overall and in league play despite winning at the top doubles position and taking singles flights two, three and four in the match.
Ferris juniors Amy Ingle and Tiffany Rheynard teamed up for Ferris’ lone doubles victory by an 8-4 count at the top flight. In singles play, the Bulldogs received victories from sophomores Natalie Diorio and Melissa Flowers along with freshman Tabitha Simpson and five different FSU players earned at least one win in the match.
After the 2-1 start in doubles action, Wayne State sealed the victory by taking the top two singles contests and also picked up a victory at the sixth singles spot.
The Bulldogs next host West Michigan counterpart Grand Valley State on Friday, Oct. 9, for a 3 p.m. (EDT) league tilt at the FSU Racquet and Fitness Center. The match will serve as the Bulldogs’ final home contest of the fall campaign.
1. Amy Ingle (FS) def. Gina Solis (UFW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Tiffany Rheynard (FS) def. Haley Dudon (UFW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Tabitha Simpson (FS) def. Candace Pahl (UFW) 6-3, 6-1
4. Kelsey Yoder (UFW) def. Natalie Diorio (FS) 6-3, 7-5
5. Melissa Flowers (FS) def. Holly Vietzke (UFW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Daniela Dimas (FS) def. Kari Rudduck (UFW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Amy Ingle/Tiffany Rheynard (FS) def. Gina Solis/Haley Dudon (UFW) 8-0
2. Tabitha Simpson/Natalie Diorio (FS) def. Candace Pahl/Holly Vietzke (UFW) 8-5
3. Melissa Flowers/Daniela Dimas (FS) def. Kelsey Yoder/Kari Rudduck (UFW) 8-1