Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris state University men's tennis team came out on the short end of a 7-2 decision in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) action against Northwood on Tuesday (April 9) in Midland, Mich.
The host Timberwolves swept the doubles round and managed to win four of the six singles flights in beating the Bulldogs, who fell for the second-straight time after winning their first eight league matches of the year.
Ferris State came into the match ranked one spot higher than Northwood nationally in the most recent Division II Rankings administered by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA). FSU was listed 34th and NU 35th in the national poll along with second and third, respectively, in the Midwest Region.
Northwood got off to a great start by beating FSU 8-6, 8-4 and 8-4 at the first, second and third doubles positions.
In singles play, FSU received wins from Sergiu Laza at the number two flight and Otto Keresztes at the fifth spot in the lineup. Laza won a three-setter, which was one of two on the day along with the number one flight where the Bulldogs' Laurent Galarneau dropped a close contest to the region's fourth-ranked player in Jean Menard.
With the loss, the Bulldogs dropped to 11-4 overall and 8-2 in conference play while NU improved to 9-4 overall and remained unbeaten in the GLIAC with a 7-0 league mark to date.
Ferris State plays its final conference regular-season match this Friday, April 12, as the Bulldogs host West Michigan rival Grand Valley State in Big Rapids. Match time is set for 12 p.m. (ET) at the FSU Racquet and Fitness Center.
1. Jean Menard (NU) def. Laurent Galarneau (FS) 7-6, 1-6, 10-7
2. Sergiu Laza (FS) def. Marcus Oliveira (NU) 7-5, 5-7, 12-10
3. Florian Boggia (NU) def. Tyler Marengo (FS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Razvan Mag (FS) 6-3, 6-4
5. Otto Keresztes (FS) def. Victor Kasak (NU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Konstantin Zhukov (NU) def. Aaron Dial (FS) 6-3, 7-5
1. Jean Menard/Florian Boggia (NU) def. Laurent Galarneau/Razvan Mag (FS) 8-6
2. Marcus Oliveira/Lorenzo Montegiorgi (NU) def. Tyler Marengo/Sergiu Laza (FS) 8-6
3. Konstantin Zhukov/Samual Walendowsky (NU) def. Otto Keresztes/Aaron Dial (FS) 8-4