Men's Tennis Suffers One-Point Loss To Division I Rockets
Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University men's tennis team battled NCAA Division I opponent Toledo (Ohio) to the end before dropping a 4-3 decision to the Rockets in the Bulldogs' opening match of the spring campaign on Friday (Feb. 8) in Toledo, Ohio.
The match, which took place at Shadow Valley, was the Bulldogs' first of the spring semester under first-year head coach Chad Berryhill.
The Rockets took the doubles round, which counted as a single point in the final team score per NCAA Division I regulations, by winning the first and third positions in the lineup. The second flight went unfinished.
In the singles round, the two teams split the six matches as FSU captured wins at the numbers one, four and five spots.
Bulldog sophomore Laurent Galarneau was a straight-set winner at the top spot in the lineup and the Bulldogs also received singles wins from Razvan Mag and Otto Keresztes at the fifth and sixth flights, respectively, with both also coming in back-to-back sets.
Ferris State's Tyler Marengo battled to a third set at the number three spot against Terence Weigand before coming out on the short end of a 3-6, 6-4, 6-0 decision.
The Bulldogs are set to return on action on Sunday, Feb. 10, with a non-league match against Davenport in Grand Rapids. Match time is set for 10 a.m. (ET).
Below are the complete match results:
1. GALARNEAU, Laurent (FERRIS) def. STUARDO, Francisco (TOLEDO) 7-6, 6-4
2. ADAMS, Grant (TOLEDO) def. LAZA, Sergiu (FERRIS) 6-4, 6-1
3. WEIGAND, Terence (TOLEDO) def. MARENGO, Tyler (FERRIS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. MAG, Razvan (FERRIS) def. BROCKER, Ben (TOLEDO) 7-5, 6-3
5. KERESZTES, Otto (FERRIS) def. MEZA, Roberto (TOLEDO) 6-2, 7-6
6. DUDZIK, Bryant (TOLEDO) def. ARRADAZA, Brandon (FERRIS) 6-1, 6-2
1. STUARDO, Francisco/ADAMS, Grant (TOLEDO) def. GALARNEAU, Laurent/MAG, Razvan (FERRIS) 8-5
2. DUDZIK, Bryant/JORGENSEN, Ryan (TOLEDO) vs. LAZA, Sergiu/MARENGO, Tyler (FERRIS) unfinished
3. BROCKER, Ben/MEZA, Roberto (TOLEDO) def. KERESZTES, Otto/DIAL, Aaron (FERRIS) 8-5