Ferris Men's Tennis Sweeps Weekend Matches
Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University men's tennis team ran its winning streak to five consecutive matches by sweeping two Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) opponents on the road in Ohio this weekend.
The Bulldogs recorded a decisive 9-0 triumph at Tiffin in Friday (March 26) afternoon's league tilt and came back to beat Findlay by a 7-2 count on Saturday (March 27) morning in Findlay, Ohio.
Five of the Bulldogs' six singles players all picked up back-to-back wins over the weekend. FSU took all six individual spots at Tiffin and won five of the six positions versus Findlay with the lone setback coming at the number one flight.
Meanwhile, the Bulldogs received a pair of doubles wins from both the second and third tandems with the top flight combination of Kyle Revall and Steven Roberts winning at Tiffin before falling in Saturday's match at Findlay.
The Bulldogs took a 2-1 lead over Findlay following doubles play before capturing the bottom five singles flights to account for the final 7-2 margin. FSU utilized seven different players in both of the weekend matches.
Ferris State improved to 8-5 overall this season with the two wins and remained unbeaten in GLIAC play with a current 4-0 record.
FSU is presently ranked 44th nationally in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division II Rankings along with fourth in the Midwest Region.
The Bulldogs are now idle until Thursday, April 8, when they host league rival Northwood for a 1 p.m. (EDT) conference battle of nationally-ranked teams at the FSU Racquet and Fitness Center.
Ferris then hosts Wayne State on Sunday, April 11, before visiting archrival Grand Valley State on Wednesday, April 14, for their final regular-season conference dual.
March 26: Ferris State 9, Tiffin 0
1. Kyle Revall (FS) def. Luiz Carvalho (TU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Ahmet Demir (FS) def. Harry Smith (TU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jack Swan (FS) def. Andres Torres (TU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Steven Roberts (FS) def. Leo Vladimirov (TU) 6-2, 3-6, 12-10
5. Justin Hermes (FS) def. Brian Coffman (TU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tyler Marengo (FS) def. Santiago Revelo (TU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kyle Revall/Steven Roberts (FS) def. Luiz Carvalho/Andres Torres (TU) 8-5
2. Justin Hermes/Jack Swan (FS) def. Leo Vladimirov/Harry Smith (TU) 8-2
3. Ahmet Demir/Arin Enge (FS) def. Santiago Revelo/Ryan Toporowsky (TU) 8-1
March 27: Ferris State 7, Findlay 2
1. Kyle Collette (UFM) def. Kyle Revall (FS) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Ahmet Demir (FS) def. Dawid Hebda (UFM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
3. Jack Swan (FS) def. Bryan Simard (UFM) 6-0, 6-2
4. Steven Roberts (FS) def. Josh Smedley (UFM) 6-0, 7-5
5. Justin Hermes (FS) def. Bryan Little (UFM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tyler Marengo (FS) def. David Brooks (UFM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Dawid Hebda/Kyle Collette (UFM) def. Kyle Revall/Steven Roberts (FS) 8-3
2. Justin Hermes/Jack Swan (FS) def. Bryan Simard/Josh Smedley (UFM) 8-4
3. Arin Enge/Ahmet Demir (FS) def. David Brooks/Bryan Little (UFM) 9-8 (7-4)