The Ferris State University men's tennis team saw its season come to a close Friday (May 8) as the Bulldogs suffered a 5-0 loss to nationally-ranked Northwood in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Final at the Gerstacker Tennis Center in Midland, Mich.
The Bulldogs, who entered the tourney ranked fifth in the region, had toppled the region's fourth-ranked squad in Grand Valley State by a 5-4 count in the first round Thursday (May 8). However, the region's top-seeded Timberwolves advanced to the NCAA-II Sweet Sixteen by taking all three doubles flights and the first two completed singles matches against FSU. NU, which is ranked 11th nationally and posted a 5-0 win over Michigan Tech in first-round play Thursday, served as the host for one of the two four-team regionals in the Midwest Region.
Friday's loss marked the third time in the last four seasons the Bulldogs have lost to Northwood in the regional final at Midland. FSU also dropped matches to NU in each of its last two regional final appearances during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 campaigns. A year ago (2007-08), the Bulldogs fell in the opening round of regional play.
Ferris concluded the year with a 14-8 overall record under second-year head coach Alex Palladino. FSU (6-1) placed second this season behind the Timberwolves (7-0) in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) standings and dropped a 8-1 decision to NU in the only previous meeting between the two teams earlier this year (April 7) in Midland.
Northwood, which also captured the GLIAC Tournament Championship this spring, improved to 19-1 overall and advances to the NCAA-II Round of 16 on May 13-16 in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
1. Peter Kazianschuetz (NU) vs. Lewis DeGeneault (FS) unfinished
2. Frederic Schoelzel (NU) def. Ahmet Demir (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Bertrand Vigouroux (NU) vs. Jack Swan (FS) unfinished
4. Olivier Brignoli (NU) def. Brian Anderson (FS) 6-3, 6-1
5. Maxime Dutors (NU) vs. Justin Hermes (FS) unfinished
6. Alex Minicozzi (NU) vs. Josh Guckenberger (FS) unfinished
1. Kazianschuetz/Schoelzel (NU) def. Lewis DeGeneault/Ahmet Demir (FS) 8-6
2. Olivier Brignoli/Alex Minicozzi (NU) def. Jack Swan/Justin Hermes (FS) 8-4
3. Bertrand Vigouroux/Maxime Dutors (NU) def. Guckenberger/Brian Anderson (FS) 8-2