Men's Tennis Opens Spring Trip With Win
Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University men's tennis
team opened its annual spring break trip with a convincing 7-2
non-league triumph over William Jewell (Mo.) on Monday (March 8)
afternoon in Liberty, Mo.
The Bulldogs, who are ranked 42nd nationally in the current Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division II Rankings, improved to 3-0 overall with the triumph.
FSU held a 2-1 advantage after the doubles round by capturing wins at the second and third positions. In singles, play, the Bulldogs claimed five of six flights with all five wins coming in straight-set fashion.
All six Bulldog players picked up at least one victory in the match against the Cardinals, who are a NAIA member that is in the first year of NCAA Division II candidacy and recently accepted as a member of the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC).
Ferris' five singles triumphs came at the top flight along with the third to sixth positions as William Jewell's lone singles victory was at the second individual spot.
The loss was the first of the season for William Jewell, which dropped to 6-1 overall this campaign.
Ferris State is ranked fourth overall in the latest ITA Midwest Regional Rankings.
The Bulldogs continue their five-match trip to Missouri and Kansas this week by visiting NCAA Division I Missouri-Kansas City on Tuesday (March 9) for a 3 p.m. (EST) non-league tilt. The match will be part of a men's and women's doubleheader as the Bulldog women also take on the Kangaroos at 3 p.m. (EST).
1. Kyle Revall (FSU) def. Cody Pflugradt (WJC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Kyle Taylor (WJC) def. Ahmet Demir (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jack Swan (FSU) def. Kyle Lehenbauer (WJC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Justin Hermes (FSU) def. Cole Stretch (WJC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Steven Roberts (FSU) def. Chris Dailey (WJC) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
6. Arin Enge (FSU) def. Brandon Ambroske (WJC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Pflugradt/Taylor (WJC) def. Revall/Roberts (FSU) 8-6
2. Swan/Hermes (FSU) def. Lehenbauer/Stretch (WJC) 8-6
3. Demir/Enge (FSU) def. Ambroske/Jake Szybowicz (WJC) 8-6