Ferris Men's Tennis Wins First Dual Match
Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State men's tennis team emerged
victorious in its first official dual match of the 2009-10 campaign
with a narrow 5-4 triumph over Lewis (Ill.) on Saturday (Feb. 20)
afternoon at the FSU Racquet and Fitness Center in Big Rapids.
The Bulldogs trailed 2-1 following doubles action as the visiting Flyers won the top two tandem positions.
However, FSU bounced back to secure the victory by winning four of the six singles flights. Ferris captured singles wins at the second, third, fifth and six spots in the lineup.
Three of the Bulldogs' singles triumphs came in straight-sets with the other coming from senior Ahmet Demir at the second flight by retirement.
The Bulldogs' lone doubles victory was at flight three where Demir teamed up with freshman Arin Enge for an 8-4 win over the Lewis combination of Jesse Hardacre and Nick Heidenfelder.
FSU is presently ranked fourth in the current NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Rankings.
The Flyers dropped to 3-2 overall this year with the setback as FSU won its season opener.
Ferris State returns to competition on Thursday (Feb. 25) as the Bulldogs visit Aquinas for a 2 p.m. (EST) non-league tilt in Grand Rapids, Mich.
Here are complete match results below:
1. Lapimaa, Uno (LEWISM) def. Kyle Revall (FS) 6-2, 7-5
2. Ahmet Demir (FS) def. Irdoja, Tonis (LEWISM) 6-1, retired
3. Jack Swan (FS) def. Hardacre, Jesse (LEWISM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Wojnarowski, Michael (LEWISM) def. Justin Hermes (FS) 6-1, 6-4
5. Steven Roberts (FS) def. Pestinger, Lorenz (LEWISM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tyler Marengo (FS) def. Cundy, Will (LEWISM) 6-2, 6-0
1. Lapimaa, Uno/Irdoja, Tonis (LEWISM) def. Kyle Revall/Steven Roberts (FS) 8-3
2. Pestinger, Lorenz/Wojnarowski, Michael (LEWISM) def. Jack Swan/Justin Hermes (FS) 8-4
3. Ahmet Demir/Arin Enge (FS) def. Heidenfelder, Nick/Hardacre, Jesse (LEWISM) 8-4