Saturday, Jan. 14
Men's Basketball vs. Northwood, 3 p.m.
Live On Sunny 97.3 & Bulldog Sports Network
Live Bulldog Sports Network Audio Broadcast
Live Bulldog Sports Network PPV Video Webcast
Live Internet Statistics
Live Facebook Scoring Updates
Live Twitter Scoring Updates
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE GAME NOTES (PDF)
* The Game: The Ferris State University women's basketball team resumes Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) action as the Bulldogs host the Northwood Timberwolves on Saturday, Jan. 14, at FSU's Jim Wink Arena. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. (ET).
* Home Ticket Info: Ferris State home basketball tickets are sold on gameday at Wink Arena and are $7 for adults or $5 for FSU faculty/staff, senior (ages 65+) and students K-12. Current FSU students are admitted free by showing a valid student ID card. For more ticket info, please call the FSU Athletics Ticket Office at (231) 591-2888 or visit the official FSU website at www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com.
* Media Coverage: Saturday's game will be carried live by the Bulldog Sports Network and Sunny 97.3 FM with Rob Bentley and Sandy Gholston calling all the action. It will be accessible online as well at www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com. A live pay-per-view video webcast and live internet statistics will also be offered. Visit www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com for a complete listing of links.
* Follow On Twitter/Facebook: In addition to internet coverage, Bulldog fans can also follow FSU games this year via Twitter and Facebook with updates. Please visit www.facebook.com/ferrisathletics or www.twitter.com/ferrisathletics to follow the posts and tweet-by-tweet coverage with periodic scoring updates.
* Last Season: Ferris State concluded the 2010-11 season by reaching the NCAA Division II Sweet Sixteen and the Midwest Regional Championship Game in Louisville, Ky. The Bulldogs also captured the GLIAC North Division Championship and hosted the GLIAC Tournament Semifinals/Finals a year ago while finishing with a 24-8 overall record. FSU must replace four key starters this campaign from a team that fell to eventual D2 national champion Bellarmine in the regional finals.
* Last Weekend: FSU split two league road games last week as the Bulldogs beat Lake Superior State 64-58 on Thursday (Jan. 5) before falling at Saginaw Valley State by a 79-59 score on Saturday (Jan. 7). In Thursday's game at LSSU, the Bulldogs trailed by as many as 14 points in the first half and were down 31-25 at the break before outscoring the Lakers 39-27 in the second half. Junior guard Kenny Brown (Farmington Hills/Harrison) led FSU with 21 points while senior forward Jerrell Sanders (Grand Rapids/Creston) added 16 points. Junior forward Daniel Sutherlin (Detroit/Renaissance) added 13 points and 12 rebounds in a double-double effort. On Saturday, SVSU led just 26-23 at halftime, but tallied 53 points in the second half to beat the Bulldogs. FSU was led by Kenny Brown's game-high 23 points.
* The Records: Ferris State (8-6, 5-2 GLIAC) has won eight of its last 11 outings this year to date. FSU won 16 of its final 19 games a year ago, including 18 of its last 22 overall en route to a 24-8 overall mark. The Bulldogs won the GLIAC North Division Championship with a 16-3 record and served as the host for the GLIAC Tournament Semifinals & Finals. FSU was 1-2 in exhibition play this season.
Northwood (8-5, 4-3 GLIAC) has claimed its last three outings to date this year, including a 63-59 league road win over Grand Valley State on Wednesday (Jan. 11) night. NU was 10-18 overall and 7-12 in the GLIAC last season.
* The Coaches: Ferris State – Bill Sall (Calvin, 1994), 10th season, 154-135 (.533) – (13-7 vs. NU). Sall was a two-time NCAA Division III All-American at Calvin College from 1985-90 and previously held assistant coaching positions at Calvin (1992-95), Ferris State (1995-98) and Hillsdale (1998-02). He served as FSU's interim coach for a brief portion of the 1995-96 season.
Northwood – Jeff Rekeweg, (Nebraska, 1988), 2nd season at NU, 16th season overall. The 2010 NAIA National Coach of the Year, Rekeweg guided St. Francis (Ind.) to the school's first National Championship in 2009-10 prior to taking over at NU. During his time at USF, the team posted seven 20-win seasons, won at least 14 games in 12 of his 14 seasons and reached the NAIA Tournament three times.
* GLIAC North: Defending champion Ferris State is currently a half-game behind Michigan Tech in the GLIAC North Division standings going into Thursday's (Jan. 12) league play. MTU holds a 5-1 mark with FSU second at 5-2 and Grand Valley State third at 5-3 following Wednesday's setback to Northwood. NU is a half-game behind GVSU in fourth with a 4-3 league mark. Hillsdale leads the South Division with a 7-0 GLIAC record this campaign.
* Series History: Ferris holds a 53-24 advantage entering Saturday's 76th meeting with Northwood. The Bulldogs have claimed 11 of the last 15 matchups to date, including two wins last season by scores of 76-65 in Big Rapids (12/11/10) and 94-85 in Midland (1/15/11). Ferris State also recorded a 69-64 road win over the Timberwolves earlier this season (Dec. 10) in Midland. FSU head coach Bill Sall currently owns a 13-7 mark to date versus NU.
* Scouting NU: The Timberwolves are currently 8-5 overall and 4-3 in the GLIAC this campaign under second-year head coach Jeff Rekeweg. They recorded a 10-18 overall mark last year and were 7-12 in league action. NU beat Grand Valley State for the second time this year by a 63-59 score on Wednesday (Jan. 11) night. They've won three in a row to date. Senior forward Bobby Lewis is scoring a team-high 16.3 points per game this season.
* First Kidz Day Event: Saturday's game marks the first of FSU's four Kidz Dayz events sponsored by Jet's Pizza. All children in grades K-12 are free with a paid adult and a number of special kids activities will take place, including face painting, a bounce house, photos with Brutus the Bulldog and more.
* Great Campaign: FSU's 24-8 overall men's hoops mark last year was the program's best since posting a 24-7 record and also reaching the regional final in 2004-05. Overall, the 24 wins recorded by the Bulldogs was tied for the third-highest total in school history and FSU's 16 league regular-season victories was best in the conference and tied for the most GLIAC wins in Bulldog annals.
* Downtown Kenny Brown: FSU's Kenny Brown has been tabbed twice this season as the GLIAC North Division Player of the Week. He also claimed the Bankhoops.com Michigan Small College Player of the Week honor once this year. Brown has scored in double-digits in 12 of 14 games to date this season.
* The Last Meeting vs. NU: Ferris State rallied from a 21-point second half defecit to stun Northwood by a 69-64 score earlier this year (Dec. 10) at the Bennett Sports Center in Midland, Mich. NU led 33-18 at halftime and was up by 21 points with 15:22 to play in the GLIAC contest before the Bulldogs rallied back to register their sixth-straight victory. Ferris State outscored Northwood 51-31 in the second half. Junior guard Kenny Brown fueled the FSU comeback with a game-high 29 points in the outing, including a five-of-12 showing from the three-point line. Freshman guard Dietrich Lever (Detroit/Canton) added 10 points for Ferris State in capping the comeback win.
* The Exhibition Season: The Bulldogs posted a 1-2 mark in exhibition play this season. FSU fell to NCAA Division I Michigan State by a 85-58 score on Oct. 30 at the Breslin Center in East Lansing. The Bulldogs bounced back to beat Grace Bible 91-78 at home (Nov. 2) before falling on the road at Calvin last Tuesday (Nov. 8) in Grand Rapids.
* Bulldog Quick Fact: Ferris State welcomed back eight letterwinners this season from last year's NCAA Tournament squad. Included in the total is a returning starter in senior point guard Dontae Molden (Detroit/Pershing). The roster also includes eight freshmen.
Bulldog Men Face Northwood At Wink Arena
Saturday, Jan. 14