FSU Falls Short In GLIAC Road Setback

FSU's Austin Randel guards LSSU's Andrew Charlesworth (Photo by Rob Bentley)
FSU's Austin Randel guards LSSU's Andrew Charlesworth (Photo by Rob Bentley)

Postgame Audio Report
(MP3 Version)

Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. - A potential game-tying three-pointer from junior forward Matt DeHart  bounced off the rim as time expired and Lake Superior State held on to post a 69-66 victory over the Ferris State men's basketball team in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) action on Saturday (Feb. 20) afternoon inside Bud Cooper Gymnasium at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.

Ferris held a slim 29-28 advantage at halftime in an even first period of play. Ferris built the lead to seven points early in the second frame before the Lakers battled back.  Lake Superior State took the lead for good on a pair of free throws with 3:49 remaining.

The Lakers took a 68-66 advantage with 2:32 to play and the score stood until the final seconds.  After a Laker miss in the final 30 seconds, FSU grabbed the rebound and had a chance to tie the game up.  However, the Bulldogs turned the ball over with five seconds to go and were forced to foul.

LSSU's Scott Perkins connected on one of two free throws with four seconds to play to give the Lakers a three-point lead. FSU then drove the length of the floor and got the ball to DeHart for an open look from the corner, but the shot bounced off the rim as the final horn sounded.

The Bulldogs dropped to 14-11 overall and 12-8 in GLIAC action while Lake Superior State improved to 13-12 overall and 11-9 in conference play with the victory.

Junior forward/center Justin Keenan paced FSU with a game-high 24 points while senior guard Austin Randel added 13 points and senior guard Jon Yeazel chipped in with 12 points.

LSSU was paced by Scott Perkins with 17 points in his final home contest at Copper Gymnasium.  Kyle Hunt chipped in with 14 points, Garrett Konuszewski totaled 12 points and Micah Hudson contributed 11 points.

Ferris shot 38.6% from the floor and was only three-of-20 (15%) from beyond the arc along with 19-of-26 (73.1%) at the free throw stripe.

Lake Superior State finished shooting 47.9% (23-48) from the field and was four-of-17 (23.5%) from downtown with 19-of-29 (65.5%) free throw shooting.

FSU was slightly outrebounded 36-34, but did grab 14 offensive boards in the contest.  The Bulldogs turned the ball over 12 times compared to 15 for the Lakers.

The Bulldogs also netted 17 assists as both Randel and junior guard Darien Gay dished out four assists apiece.  FSU tallied seven steals and three blocks shots.  Randel also added a game-high eight rebounds for Ferris.

Meanwhile, the Lakers compiled 11 assists and six steals.

The loss was the second consecutive league road setback for the Bulldogs, who had been ranked eighth in this past week's NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Rankings.

Ferris wraps up the regular-season by hosting Northwood and Wayne State next Thursday (Feb. 25) and Saturday (Feb. 27), respectively, at FSU's Jim Wink Arena in Big Rapids.  Thursday's game against NU starts at 8 p.m. (EST) with Saturday's outing beginning at 3 p.m. (EST).

The regular-season finale versus WSU on Feb. 27 has been dubbed "Operation Giveaway" with a variety of prizes, scholarships and more slated to be given away in an effort to help fill Wink Arena for the contest.