FSU Wins Shootout Over #5 OSU After OT Tie

FSU Wins Shootout Over #5 OSU After OT Tie

Post Game Press Conference
Radio Broadcast On Demand

Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University men's ice hockey team picked up five of a possible six Central Collegiate Hockey  Association (CCHA) points on the weekend as the Bulldogs finished with a 3-3 overtime tie before eventually winning the shootout over the fifth-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes on Saturday (Jan. 21) night in Columbus, Ohio.

The 13th-ranked Bulldogs improve to a 15-8-3 overall record and a 9-6-3 in the conference with the shootout win. Ohio State now holds a 14-7-4 overall and is 10-6-4 in the conference, which still keeps them at the top of the conference for another week as no CCHA team was able to earn enough points to overtake them this weekend.

FSU senior defender Derek Graham (Schoolcraft) opened the scoring 7:02 into the game. Freshman defenseman Simon Denis (Burnaby, British Columbia) sent the puck to Graham, who was waiting in the front of the net and jammed it behind the OSU goaltender. Senior defenseman Chad Billins (Marysville) was also awarded with an assist.

The Buckeyes got on the scoreboard only 2:26 later as Tanner Fritz tallied an even-strength goal for Ohio State. The second period was scoreless as the score remained 1-1 going into the third period.

Just 1:10 into the third period, the Bulldogs took a 2-1 lead as junior forward Kyle Bonis (Lindsay, Ontario) netted his 12th goal of the season off a great feed from Graham. Billins again picked up his second assist of the night off the goal.  

However, at 10:10 into the third period, Ohio State's Danny Dries scored a short-handed goal to knot the score at two goals apiece. The short-handed tally represented the first of the 2011-12 season scored on the Bulldog defense.

FSU regained the advantage at the 6:51 mark when junior forward Matthew Kirzinger (Leroy, Saskatchewan) scored on the power play. Denis and Billins notched the helpers. It marks the second point for Denis and third for Billins in the game.

Ohio State answered as the Buckeys tied the game up 3-3 at the 16:38 mark with an even-strength goal from Max McComick.

The game remained tied through regulation and a five-minute overtime period.

A shootout followed and the Bulldogs posted a 2-0 win. Bonis and Graham both converted in their shootout attempts while OSU was not able to convert on any of its three chances.

Ohio State held a 34-26 edge in shots for the game. Ferris State went one-for-five on the power play and did not allow OSU to score a goal on four chances with the man advantage. FSU had four penalties for eight minutes in the box compared to Ohio State's five discretions for 10 total minutes.

Freshman goaltender CJ Motte (St. Claire) made 31 saves in the tie to improve his record to 4-4-2 overall. In the net for Ohio State was Cal Heeter, who made 23 saves.

The Bulldogs will return home next weekend (Jan. 27 and 28) to host the Michigan State Spartans on Friday and Saturday. Both games have a 7:05 p.m. (EDT) start time and will take place at the Ewigleben Ice Arena in Big Rapids.